Used 2002 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Horribly disappointing.
By Moose

2002 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my Ranger in hopes of getting a reliable truck that had decent fuel economy. What I got was a hulk of junk. I literally had problems from the second day I owned the truck. Over the 19 months I owned the truck, Ford replaced 2 thermostats, the radiator, the transmission, the radio, the gauge cluster, the back glass, and numerous third brake light seals. The truck left me stranded, without warning, 4 times - including last Thanksgiving Day. Fuel economy is not what they tell you, either. I drove 100 miles to work round trip every day doing 70 mph on the interstate, and the best gas mileage I ever got was 24 mpg - and it's a 4 cylinder! I have since bought a Toyota, and couldn't be happier.

Ask Toyota how to build a good truck.

2002 Ford Ranger
By 2002 Ford Ranger

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my 2002 Ford Ranger since August 2002, and overall I am extremely happy with my purchase. I don't know why so many of the automobile trade magazines and even you Edmunds put down the Ford Ranger as being obsolete! I compared the Ford Ranger against the Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier, and Chevrolet S-10 at the time and I choose the Ford Ranger. My Ford Ranger has been reliable 100% of the time. It is easy to do the routine preventative maintenance. The price was right. I get better gas mileage (28 mpg in town driving and 34 mpg highway driving) than what the sticker showed for estimated expected MPG. If I were to buy another truck, I would definitely buy a Ford again.

I like the gas mileage (28 mpg in town driving and 34 mpg highway driving) because it is even better than the sticker showed for estimated expected mpg. And the price was right. I also liked the sales service that the Ford dealer gave to me.

I would probably buy an automatic the next time when I buy another Ford truck.

Best Lil' Truck 4 Me
By This1wrkd

2002 Ford Ranger Edge Plus 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 4WD Edge new in 2002. It's going strong in 2006. I've been all across the country, and commute from Houston to Crockett 3 times per month. You may think it's a chick truck, but 4 wheeling is terrific, and it carries everything an artist/remodeler needs (for a chick). I've owned a lot of vehicles, this one is just plain fun!

4WD, excellent engine and mileage given all the bells and whistles. Step side limits cargo, but easy to use. Split rear window. Gotta have it for the dog!

I wish the paint job were a little tougher, considering it's a 4WD, and don't consider the rear seats anything but extra weight unless you are really small. I use the back space for my parrot. Dash board is a bit cheap, could use better plastic. Make this a hybrid Ford! Optional sunroof.

Awesome Truck!
By Eric

2002 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck about a year ago and I love it. It has the 4.0 liter sohc V6 engine which has plenty of power and is very reliable (except the alternator goes a little wacky sometimes - the plug going to the voltage regulator goes bad sometimes). But I still wish Ford would make the 4.6 liter v8 available for the Ranger.

Very nice looking truck, and very reliable.

Make the 4.6 liter available. Improve charging system.

American vehicle that's fine by me
By john/sun

2002 Ford Ranger Edge 4dr SuperCab 4WD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

After having an 84 Ranger and getting over 200,000 miles on it, I went back for more. Mileage could be better; getting 18-19 average. Not a SINGLE problem with this truck.

Dependability.

Squeeze better mileage out of larger motors.