Used 2001 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews - 128 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

01 XLT 4x4 4 door stepside
By RayO

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my fourth Ranger, and all of them have been good reliable small trucks, but the quality has noticeably improved each time. This one is solid, and quiet, enough power with the 4.0 V6, and serves me well for what I want. It is no speed demon but great at what it was meant to do.

The looks, with the raised hood, step side bed, larger tires, and all. The total package comes together quite well without over doing it.

The material on the armrest should be more durable, the cloth shows wear way before it should in my opinion.

Built Ford Tough
By Greg

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned my 2001 Ranger for almost a year now with zero problems. I'm up to the 60,000 miles mark, and the truck drives like brand new. At times, the 4.0L V6 can be sluggish, but it suits the truck very well. My only major complaint is the horrible fuel economy for a truck this size.

Shift-on-the-fly 4WD, ride height, audio system.

Fuel economy, and a V8 offering.

Squeaky high MPG
By Lock

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My heart sank as gas prices rose and my 01 Ranger XLT 4.0L got only 16-17 mpg. My 1998 Ranger XLT has stayed at or just below 20 mpg. I had to get a 4X4 but the 01 would squeak loudly wherever I drove regardless of weather.

Looked great with waffle grille.

Tear resistant seat coverings.

Red Power Ranger
By Fred

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab Edge 2WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My Red Power Ranger Edge is a trip! I added a carpet bedliner, camper shell, and step bars. Although it could use a bit more power, it never lags on the I95 raceway. Best addition, engine wise, was a K&N air filter (which I also use on my 95 Ranger and motorcycle). I have no major problems and would buy another Ranger.

That Edge styling!

Better seats, more power (how about a V-8? There's enough room for one.) And, even though it's a flex-fuel, there has never been an E85 fill up because there's no E85 anywhere near.

My Truck
By socha818

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Well gets awesome gas mileage for a truck. A cover over the bed added about 3 mpg more. Disadvantage: not very good traction in snow or rain. Not a lot of weight in back of truck, even with 140lbs extra. Just had some rear brake problems. Advantages: Again the gas mileage is great. Fun truck, 5-speed manual, good response. Easy to do self fix-ups, oil and filters. Don't need a jack to change oil and oil filter. Overall good, sometimes troublesome but nothing a little loving can't take care of.

5-speed manual. Good sound system. Gas mileage.

Better brakes. Some engine shaking.