Used 2001 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews - 128 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Average, simple truck
By jeremy m

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I got his truck from my dad back in '05 when it already had about 50k miles. He used it to tow his boat out to the docks and he works at a paper mill, so he got a Ford Ranger. Rugged, tough- a get-the-job-done kinda truck. Well I own a Dodge Stratus now, so this truck wasn't the best for me. The "check engine" light came on around 60k (apparently the EGR valve wasn't doing its job- a minor malfunction and it lights up the "check engine" light?) and there was a national recall on the cruise control. Brakes were numb, engine sluggish, suspension was rough. Not really what I was looking for. Got me from point A to point B though. Good for people who like simple.

Body was nice, engine roared at high RPMs sounded nice(lots of noise, not much speed), simple instument panel- it was good, basic truck to start out with

Suspension too tight, brakes felt weak, cheap plastic interior, accelerator lagged when you tried to floor it to pass, and even after the 3 seconds it takes to dowshift, the weak engine didn't get you anywhere.

01 Ranger
By Juszkiewicz

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB w/393A (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased used as a daily driver for a migrant hi-tech worker. Reliable as rain in Seattle winter. Pushing 78-80K by end of 2008. No unscheduled repairs, 17.3 mpg overall in mixed driving in Chiago area including many winter days in 4x4 High Mode. Highway mileage > 21 MPG. Comfortable cab, roomy for 2 with extened cab for vacation drives. Definitely purchase another. Recommend to others. Not a sophisticated vehicle by any means but reliabale and robust.

4x4, view from cab, reliability, relativley smotth ride for small truck

Crew cab should be made available in US.

Ford Ranger Pickup 2001
By Xavier

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab Edge 2WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Ranger new in July 01 and have enjoyed putting 125k on it. some of the repairs I incured were a broken valve stem, transmition work 2X, broken drive shaft parts 2X, front ball goint, 2 batterys. As of now I have replaced the lights in the dash and repainted the grille to its original dark black color. I don't know what to do with my seet, Over time the arm rest broke and the fabric is cracking and terring, dispite the problems the engine runs very smooth and the AC is bitter cold on hot Texas summer days. I am so happy with the styling, I never get tyerd of looking at it. The paint is shiny amd their are no cracks in the rubber or plastic.

Style and AC

Use better quality fabric and tuffen up the arm rest.

Last of a breed
By Don

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck used when my beloved 86 F150 finally died. I bought the Ranger as I only have a 6ft garage door on the new house and the new full size trucks just dont fit. I love this truck. No it's not flashy like the current trucks out there, but it slugs it out with em all. Fuel mileage imprived by 1-2 mpg when I installed a KN filter. The stepside bed doesnt hold much,but when I need to haul crap I borrow my brothers chevy (afterall isnt that what chevies are for?) It still looks current I dont like the grille setup on the new Rangers. I put Micheleins on it and the wet handling went up a 100%. This truck is gonna stay in the fleet for a long time. A shame Ford is dropping it.

Clean Ford truck styling. Still a owner friendly to workon truck. Has aged with grace after 3 decades. Can work when needed and still be a cool out to dinner ride.

Toolate for improvements as Ford is retiring it. Too bad they never offered the 4 door version you see in Mexico here, it mighthave saved the niceest compact truck this country ever had. When this one finally goes I dont know what will replace it.

Gas Guzzling Monster!
By ablosrosarito

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very great truck. You'd think by 2001 the 3.0 would be DOHC not an inneficient OHV but oh well. Goes through a gas tank very easily which is not good. The 4x4 system is very good, it has gotten me through sand and mud with no problems. Engine electronics are sealed well, I can wash engine without triggering CEL. Cabin is very quiet and comfy. Maintenance costs are very low and there are still no leaks after 150,000 miles.

Shift on the fly 4 wheel drive. Takes me everywhere. Stock Off-Road Lift clears many things. Stereo sounds good for a stock unit. Center cup holders are really useful.

The engine is horrible! There is no real technology in the engine. A foreign Ford Turbo diesel engine would be nice or some kind of DOHC with variable timing.