Used 2001 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews - 128 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

2001 Ford Ranger 4x4 SuperCab
By 2001 Ranger

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB w/393A (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased vehicle new, had virtually no problems until 115K miles. In last 8 months, I have had to replace the fuel pump, cost $700 w/Labor, and both front wheel bearings about 3 months apart, cost $450 each w/labor. Had to buy a complete assembly just to replace the wheel bearings. So much for Ford's "better ideas". Gas mileage is crappy, averages 15-17 mpg in daily commutes. Although it has gotten 21 mpg on trips, with a bed cover in place. A 4.0 litre engine in a mid-sized truck should get better mileage. A neighbor had a 1980 full- sized model F-100, with a 4th gear o/d manual tranny that got 29 mpg on the highway. Now the transmission at nearly 119K is giving signs of needing a rebuild.

Red exterior color, ergonomics of interior is good. Styling ages gracefully.

Gas mileage, gas mileage, gas mileage. Auto transmission should not need a rebuild at 119K miles, since nothing I towed weighed over 1500 pounds, including the trailer. Have been to 3 different transmission places. All admit transmission does not act right, yet no dummy codes show up on diagnostics

164000 miles and still kickin
By Ncbmxpro

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab Edge Plus 2WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my truck new in 2001. I have 164,000 miles on it and it still runs like a champ. Besides oil changes, tires, fuel and air filters, and some light bulbs I have only needed to replace the spark plugs and wires, and distribution cap. Not too bad for an 8 year old truck. And I havent babied this thing either. I have had body damage repaired three times and replaced a rim after hitting a curb at 50mph when the truck was only 2 years old.

The interior is breaking down on me. Couple cracks and tears in the seats but that is expected I suppose.

2001 Ranger XLT 2WD Short Bed Standard C
By mugrb

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this truck used. It has been a good runner - so far. Awesome on gas mileage. During this winter I've been getting easily 24 mpg with 400 lbs of sand over the rear axle. Summer I've been getting very close to 30 mpg, 28 to 29 is common for me. Tricky in the winter months being rear wheel drive. The rear end always goes to the right sending me heading into oncoming traffic driving up an icy slope. The 3.0 liter Vulcan V-6 is starting to get a bit noisy with being almost 110k miles. It rides quiet for a small pickup. Cruise control button on the left side is loose. The EGR system could be upgraded too a more reliable system.

5-speed manual overdrive versus the auto. Seats are exceptionally comfortable. Instrumentation.

Doesn't matter, Ford is dropping the Ranger. But a limited slip differential as standard equipment on all pickups. Better EGR system that replaces the DPFE sensor. Considerable larger fuel tank. Mine completely empty is only 13.2 gallons. A real working oil press gauge.

Great used truck
By Captain

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

It's a great truck. I paid less than 6500 for it and am very satisfied. Only problem to date is a airbag warning light. Right doors rattled a bit but tightening them resolved. Great styling, great looks. I would recommend it to anyone.

Styling, engine/tranny, comfort, rear doors

More beef out of engine. I had a Taurus with same engine that ran much better.

Great Truck
By mgf

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab Edge Plus 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this truck new in 2001 - over 108000 miles later - I have treated the truck well - and it treated me well in return. This is a solid well built vehicle that I would recommend to anyone. I am impressed and a believer in the American car. If you think American car quality is sub-par - drive the 2001 Ford Ranger

Shift on the fly 4WD