Used 2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab Consumer Reviews - 101 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Love My Ranger
By sjaj1

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT Off-Road 4WD Flareside SB w/397A (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have a 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4 and the front end is shaking real bad. The steering wheel at 30 mph moves from side to side about a 1/2". I checked for wheel weights, they are all there. I am thinking ball joints, tie rod or tie rod ends. Sometimes in excess of 60 mph feels like wheel may come off.

I love the extended cab with 4 doors, easy access. Seats are comfortable.

needs larger fuel tank

THANK GOD!...Well...Ford!
By Dan

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB w/393A (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I don't get it. There was no selection for 4 door Supercab 2WD 3.0?? Another comment said the U.S. should have made one?? UH, I just traded mine for a 5.4L F-150. It was a 3.0 4 door supercab...oh well, VERY TOUGH truck!!!!! MY GOD! Had 2 Rangers, each I had for at least 5 years, and NOT ONE THING EVER broke down!!! No! I'm not kidding. Over exceeded weight capacities, pulled tree's out of ground, pulled, hauled. Sluggish on the line, but passed like a monster! Just bad on gas and not comfortable...who cares, it never let me down. And like I said, that's 2 Rangers, never any problems!

Looks, reliability, hauling ability.

Make a V-8 crew cab!!!! ya!

Not Flashy But Gets The Job Done
By joncman

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab Edge Plus 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this car since new and it's not the flashiest beast out there, but man it does what it needs to do. I've had lots of cars in my lifetime with lots of fancy features so I decided to buy a truck for once in my life. Got the Ranger because I didn't need a super powerful truck. I have not regretted it once. This thing goes and goes and goes. The only mechanical that has ever gone wrong with it was the wiper motor conked out on me. I drove a 2008 F-150 the other day and it had about every bell and whistle you could get on it, but, $42,000....YIKES....I'll stick with the little'ol'Ranger thank you very much.

4 wheel drive! Nice looks and build quality.

Gas mileage, but still not to bad for a Truck with 4.0 in it. I've gotten around 19 overall throughout it's lifetime.

Bought used at 35k miles, cant tell tho
By Michael Lubawski

2001 Ford Ranger SuperCab 4dr SuperCab Edge Plus 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this truck used from a dealer. Have had nothing but good luck other than normal wear and tear. The 6-disc player and speakers finally went south (I wonder why?) after 97k miles. Transmission seems to skip a beat at stop signs when brake is pressed hard. Stiff ride, 4x4 typical, fun, looks good with chrome wheels (color is black). Plenty of power and punch. Never been the shop for major repairs.

The whole truck. For me it's a nice size, handles good, looks good and gets a lot of attention.

Sturdier armrest box and cup holders closer to the seat.

2001 Ford Ranger 4x4 SuperCab
By 2001 Ranger

Purchased vehicle new, had virtually no problems until 115K miles. In last 8 months, I have had to replace the fuel pump, cost $700 w/Labor, and both front wheel bearings about 3 months apart, cost $450 each w/labor. Had to buy a complete assembly just to replace the wheel bearings. So much for Ford's "better ideas". Gas mileage is crappy, averages 15-17 mpg in daily commutes. Although it has gotten 21 mpg on trips, with a bed cover in place. A 4.0 litre engine in a mid-sized truck should get better mileage. A neighbor had a 1980 full- sized model F-100, with a 4th gear o/d manual tranny that got 29 mpg on the highway. Now the transmission at nearly 119K is giving signs of needing a rebuild.

Red exterior color, ergonomics of interior is good. Styling ages gracefully.

Gas mileage, gas mileage, gas mileage. Auto transmission should not need a rebuild at 119K miles, since nothing I towed weighed over 1500 pounds, including the trailer. Have been to 3 different transmission places. All admit transmission does not act right, yet no dummy codes show up on diagnostics