Used 2000 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews - 106 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Why can't Ford build a reliable transmission
By Why Fords suck

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This is a vehicle that is rarely used, particularly over the last two and a half years since I drive a more gas thrifty 1999 Nissan Sentra. The vehicle has received regular maintenance per warranty, and yet at 58,000 miles is diagnosed with a failing third gear on an automatic. We had the same type of trouble on our 1991 Ford Taurus Wagon. Its transmission was replaced under warranty at 29,000 miles, and failed again about 50,000 miles later, at which time we all but gave the vehicle away as a trade-in on a reliable 1997 Honda Accord. The Ranger never got better than 20 miles to the gallon, and required premium fuel in the summer or when hauling any load. I hope Ford goes bankrupt.

Quit making cars and make farm implements or something else. Your cars are junk and waste the hard working family's money. I personally hope your entire company goes bankrupt. We didn't even get our brand new, off the truck Ford Ranger home before the fuel line disconnected from the fuel filter.

Keeps On Truckin
By Jim

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I drive a lot, usually about 40k per year. I have had great luck with the Ford Ranger. I have the 4.0L with a 5 speed manual (special order) and love it. It has plenty of power and torque. I also do a lot of off road driving. The off-road package handles great and is very comfortable on the highway also. This is the 5th Ranger that I have had. Other than replacing the clutch at 120K I have had not maintenance issue. I have 160k on it now and do not plan to trade it for at least another year so it will close to 200k. When I trade it will be for another Ranger!

All around excellent vehicle. Love the drive and the reliability.

A more powerful engine.

2000 XLT Ranger Is Very Reliable
By Julie G.

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I drive an average of 45,000 miles per year in my 2000 XLT 2WD Extended Cab Ford Ranger. This truck has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Regular maintenance and service is all that I have invested in this truck and my Ford Ranger just keeps rambling right along. XLT with all power package makes everything easy to use. Good stereo too. I would certainly recommend a new Ford Ranger to any one looking for a comfortable and durable ride that can put in a good days work and still clean up nice too. A perfect light truck!

XLT with all power controls. Mostly the reliability, 270,000 MILES and still going strong!

Center console should have been structurally stronger. Seats could be a little more comfy.

Ford Ranger Centennial Model
By Woody

2000 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck has been excellent, in all conditions. It has been in the deserts of Arizona, the mountains of Utah, and winters in western New York. It has never had a maintenance problem, is fun to drive, and delivered on the promises by Ford. Its gas mileage is not a plus, but it has a 4 liter V6. The engine is German-made and rock solid. The truck now has over 100,000 miles and still looks and runs like new.

The truck is attractive and the larger 16" wheels have made a big difference in appearance. Also, the mag wheels that came with the truck were one of the better wheels on Fords in the past 7-8 years.

Lengthen the SuperCab to enable bench seating and lengthen the bed. The only downside to the truck has been the jump seating in the rear.

All around good truck
By KaiserM715

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck new and have really enjoyed it. I have not had to make any repairs other than routine maintenance (truck has about 61k miles). I have used it for off-roading trail riding frequently and it has performed well, going any place a stock Wrangler can go. I have hauled over 1000 lbs in the bed with good results (went 65mph and got 20mpg!). The seats are comfortable for long trips and the interior has held up very well (seats still look new). The jump seats are not really good for much, however. 4.0L fuel economy could be better (avg 14-15mpg city and 18-20mpg hwy).

-4 doors! After having this, I will never get another extended cab without them. -Fun to drive. I always look forward to driving my truck. -A cinch to work on (fluid changes, brake pads, etc.).

-Jump seats are useless for anything other than very short trips. Covered by the new Ranger FX4 Level II. -More engine power and better fuel economy (addressed by 4.0L SOHC). -Better limited slip (addressed by Thorsen limited slip).