Used 2000 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews - 106 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

OK, but better out there.
By Andy

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

Not a bad little truck, extended cab has come into handy with putting hunting and fishing stuff right behind the driver seat. Stepside gives a trendy look but doesn't do much good with the Tanoe cover. Got the 3.0V6 with the 5speed automatic and it has little trouble hauling half a ton and towing 3/4 of a ton which is pretty exceptional for a small truck. Only problem I have had was the master fuse blowing and the alternator not charging the battery and the truck dying while driving through town. (Not fun at all.) Overall 8/10.

Stepsides gives a pretty cool look, and the 29'' Bighorn Maxxis tires on it give it an agressive look. Engine has no problem doing what you would expect a small truck to do, but it would be nice having the 4.0V6 for a little extra power.

Gas mileage and center console fixed, bad stock radio, some electrical problems. Getting about 17-18MPG if I really baby the truck, which I don't mind, but expect better from a small truck. Center console breaks easily, every time I put my elbow in it to get my keys it bends inwards.

My Ranger
By SB

2000 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This is my 2nd Ranger. I have 150000 miles and going strong. The only repairs I have done is emissons, clutch, and brakes. I pull a 2000 pound trailer over the pass 10 times a year. I run this truck hard and it just keeps taking it. This is built Ford tough.

4 doors

Better fuel economy

First truck and lovin it!
By richardheppner

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is my first pickup and I've enjoyed it. I have a 2000 that I picked up from the inlaws for little to nothing. It only had 30,000 miles and was hardly driven for a couple of years. So I got what I considered a super deal, and a great truck like brand new. I've had nothing but just a serpintine belt go bad and replaced. Super reliable!

I love the look and the cool drive. I love the cdplayer too. I don't have power windows, but they roll down super easy, just takes a small effort. I also love the color, a reddish maroon, I found a cool A.R.E. topper, and I'm set.

Probably the check engine light which will hopefully go off when I get it fixed. Hasn't caused any problems that I noticed.

Awesome Truck
By PaulThePianoman

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought it used with 30k miles on it. I have 81k now with no problems. I did all the standard maintenance. I hate to sell it but I need I need more seats with a growing family. Was rated a best buy by Edmunds when I bought it and they were right

I put a topper on it and used it so many times. Extra jump seats helped a few times.

Maybe a little bigger engine but gas miles are good with this engine. Would buy it again if it had a crew cab with long bed

Trusty Ranger
By Mattalicious

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have never had any major issue with this pick-up and it has met or exceeded my needs all the time. Drove it from east Texas to Colorado and back and never had an issue (except me driving in the snow!). Would have preferred a V6 for more horsepower, but for my basic uses and the gas prices lately I am happy with my 4 cylinder engine. Road noise isn't the best but with a good CD playing, the sound system can drown it out pretty well. I will always prefer to drive around in my Ranger than any other vehicle (including full-size trucks and any car) just for comfort. Easy to drive because it isn't too big, but it is able to do light-duty hauling and other work.

Comfort of driving and visibility.

A little more chrome. Mandatory V6 for horsepower