Used 2000 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews - 106 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Looking to Buy my 2nd Ranger
By Bill

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I bought my first Ford Ranger brand new with less than 100 miles on it in 2000. The day after Thanskgiving I was in a wreck and the truck was totaled. At the time I had over 178000 miles on it. I have to say the Ranger is the best vehicle I have ever owned price wise, mileage, maintenance, etc. With proper maintenance I only replaced the serpentine belt, timing belt, and the alternator during the 8+ yrs. I owned the truck. Loved the style, handling, and comfort it provided not to mention the deal I got from the dealership. My borther who deals in used cars was so impressed with my Ranger that he bought himself one and we both stand behind the Ranger 100%.

Am/FM/ CD player, mileage, comfort, design, dependability, low maintenance.

More sturdy console but otherwise no complaints.

Great little truck
By Preston

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

Awesome truck! I bought it used and lost it in a bad wreck today. Truck I found out the hard way was built incredibly well, and it truthfully saved my four-year-old's and my life in a head-on collision. Over the years, I would maintain the truck and it just kept putting down the road. Gas mileage was about 20MPG and served as a great lightweight utility and commute truck. Overall, it was an amazing truck and will be missed.

The truck was real basic (no power windows or locks, etc), so there's not really any feature that stands out. Easy and smooth driving. Handled well like a sedan, yet still had the feel of a truck. Good gas mileage which makes commuting easier.

My only complaint was the four- cylinder engine really lacked power, which limited its ability to maneuver traffic or carry any real heavy loads.

Ford, some mods and keep going.
By Dragon Fly

2000 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab LB

I brought it on 2000 no major repairs, just regular maintenance and every 60k miles timing belt service and plugs. They are not fuel savers but extremely good machines. Imagine 6 years running on nitrous once a week without breaking anything.

Low maintenance.

In my case I lower it and it improves my corner handling, but remember it got a little stiffer.

Love It!
By rgattic

2000 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought is two years ago and so far so good! I get about 26 MPG (mostly highway miles on the 2.5L engine). I also use often for home improvement. I built a deck with it and have carried some heavy loads for my landscaping and the truck is holding up great!

Love the A/C in the summer time (it cools very fast). I am very surprised and impressed with the MPGs-26! This is a reliable truck.

Needs styling updates.

It's a good small truck.
By Mike

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

My Ranger is an awesome truck, except for the gas mileage (it's a truck, what do you expect). I have the 4 door (2dr with two rear hinged drs), it's also a 5-speed manual and has the 4L V6 engine (heard that the 4L was the better of the two engines), 4x4 off road pkg and tears through the snow. I bought it at 46500 miles and put 20500 miles on it so far, and also halled a 630 lb load of scrap steel with now problems what so ever in the bed. With the truck being 8 years old now, the only prblems are the power locks are going out and the cd and cassette player is also going out. That's great for an 8 year old truck with 67000 miles. Have no regets here!

4x4 off road is awesome, love using the manual transmission as a clutch break (keeps wear off of the brakes as much), 4L engine has the power needed for better hauling vs the 3.0L

Put an electric radiator fan in place of the regular factory fan. It will give better gas mileage overall and give the engine more power.