Used 2000 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews - 106 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

I love my pick-em-up truck
By Dale W.

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought my truck brand new in April 2000. It has 4 doors (2 regular and 2 small rear doors). It gets up and goes every time I need it to. My only complaint is that it could use a little more power and torque. If FORD could add that without decreasing fuel economy, then they would have the end all be all in truck in the light truck division. It handles well, moves when you hit the throttle, and hauls anything the 150's do with-in reason. It is a shame that FORD is not going to continue the Ranger tradition. If they make casual updates then it would continue to sell well. Radio didn't last as long as it should but that is a Pioneer for you.

The extended cab. It holds everything I need it to. Wish it could come with out the two jump seats.

Better torque, extended cab with out the jump seats, rubber floor mats through out (No Carpet). Could use a little better fuel mileage. Currently at 20+/- MPG

Great Truck
By razorback49

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

We bought this little truck in Phoenix Arizona off a little mom and pop lot. Ranger XLT, Tonneau cover, 15 inch American racing wheels. It had 77,000 on it when we bought it and now has 126,500 and still going strong. Only thing we had to do to it was replace a front rotor and pads. Just had all the fluids changed and not a glitch to date. Once we moved to Oklahoma found out real quick, doesn't move in snow forget it if it is 2 wheel drive but then again that is normal for a little pick up anyway. We are going to drive this one till it is duct taped together and maybe get a 4 x 4 Ranger next time. Extended cab or supercab so the beagles can ride too!

Everything within easy reach, HWY mileage usually around 25 at 75 and 80 not that you get there in 20 seconds! Once you get it past 60 you can go pretty good. With the fiberglass tonneau cover can't haul anything very tall,not even and ice chest. Love the drivablity of it, easy to park.

Interior parts a little too much plastic. Broke a couple of window cranks, cheap enough at Auto zone. Sliding glass window seal has failed once, was a pain getting someone to fix it.finally ran a butter knife down it and filled across with silicone and wiped off the excess fixed the problem.

Ridge Ranger proves to be affordable
By Phil

2000 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab LB

My first truck was an '87 ranger, and I've now had the 2000 model for 4 years. Put about 60,000 onto the existing 47,000 miles from date of purchase. Like my previous ranger, some things seem to need replacement every 4 years or so. I'm about to replace the clutch, although my driving has been a little harder given that I live in the country. Also Universal joints, alternator, heater core, filters of course... actually not too bad. now at about 100000, I'm flushing radiator, doing brakes, fuel filter, checking plugs and fuses, replaced battery 3x now it's always corroding-maybe I'll make a cover... needs fresh suspension. But overall suprisingly sturdy truck when it's taken care of.

Standard interior with the rubber floor and vinyl seats is very easy for cleaning. Fuel economy is great, must be better than 22 mpg. the 5 speed is classic makes a fun drive in the hills. On a cold day, the make of the cab keeps the heat in very well. parts are easy to find and repair by hand.

2wd has 3 springs in the back so for a stock ranger it's easy to become overloaded Interior has too much plastic on dash and doors. Needs an ash tray or tray for change Few rivits in fenders and doors, exterior is generally thin, easy to dent. Cab is much to small for necessary road tools n comfort

Great Truck
By Jammerx

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I purchased my Ranger new. It is has the 2.5 I4 and 5 speed. It has served my family well and is about to become my daughters vehicle. We have had no problems with this truck. None. I cannot say that about any other vehicle I have ever owned. Would gladly purchase another Ford product. Gets great gas mileage, and is small enough to zip around in. Have towed a small U haul when we moved from Maine to the south... No issues. Its is still our daily driver as we teach our daughter to drive... (clutch is still intact LOL!!) Again GREAT VEHICLE!!!

Good all around small pick up...

Wish ours would have had tilt wheel.

Disappointed
By Kevin Wolbert

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I have owned 3 Ford Ranger pick up trucks and this 4.0L truck was the worst vehicle I have ever owned. This 2000 Ranger with a 4.0 L and 4 wheel drive was awfully. Bad gas mileage and very poor reliability. I had to replace the head gasket at 100,000 miles and now the engine block is cracked. I bought this truck used and I am not sure how the previous owner took care of vehicle. I always change the oil ever 3000 miles and tried to maintain the vehicle. Unless Ford builds a better truck I will look at other brands before I ever consider another Ranger.