Used 2000 Ford Ranger XLT Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Ranger Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

My Ford
By wingnut

2000 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This truck has been a good, solid means of transportation. It is good for hauling standard cargo (though the back suspension is a little soft for heavier loads). However, as a daily driver it has mediocre power and lousy gas mileage (17mpg mixed!). If you need to haul light cargo, get the 4cyl. If you need to pull things, get a big diesel. As for myself, my next purchase will be a good hatchback. However, I won't be buying anything until my truck dies. Admittedly, with a Ranger, that could be a very, very long time.

Reliability. The Ranger feels very solid and hefty. The seats are comfortable and the stereo is not bad.

Power! I have to hit the "OD off" button when passing someone to get it to down shift correctly. Fuel economy! If you're gonna make a hefty 3.0 v6, at least make it powerful. Otherwise, you may as well have gotten the 4 cylinder model

Why can't Ford build a reliable transmission
By Why Fords suck

2000 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This is a vehicle that is rarely used, particularly over the last two and a half years since I drive a more gas thrifty 1999 Nissan Sentra. The vehicle has received regular maintenance per warranty, and yet at 58,000 miles is diagnosed with a failing third gear on an automatic. We had the same type of trouble on our 1991 Ford Taurus Wagon. Its transmission was replaced under warranty at 29,000 miles, and failed again about 50,000 miles later, at which time we all but gave the vehicle away as a trade-in on a reliable 1997 Honda Accord. The Ranger never got better than 20 miles to the gallon, and required premium fuel in the summer or when hauling any load. I hope Ford goes bankrupt.

Quit making cars and make farm implements or something else. Your cars are junk and waste the hard working family's money. I personally hope your entire company goes bankrupt. We didn't even get our brand new, off the truck Ford Ranger home before the fuel line disconnected from the fuel filter.

2000 XLT Ranger Is Very Reliable
By Julie G.

2000 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I drive an average of 45,000 miles per year in my 2000 XLT 2WD Extended Cab Ford Ranger. This truck has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Regular maintenance and service is all that I have invested in this truck and my Ford Ranger just keeps rambling right along. XLT with all power package makes everything easy to use. Good stereo too. I would certainly recommend a new Ford Ranger to any one looking for a comfortable and durable ride that can put in a good days work and still clean up nice too. A perfect light truck!

XLT with all power controls. Mostly the reliability, 270,000 MILES and still going strong!

Center console should have been structurally stronger. Seats could be a little more comfy.

2000 Ranger
By Jenni Latza

2000 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

GREAT truck. First ever owned. Only problem we have run into and has had to have periodic fixing were the pillar doors (?) that lead the A/C and heater air to the cab. They sometimes jam open or shut. The dealer says this could be because of the salt used in the winters in Ohio. Lubrication helps. Replaced upper control arms once, as roads are very bad in the Cleveland, OH area. Otherwise, a very good vehicle to buy.

I like the cruise control, A/C, CD player, extra back doors, automatic adjustable mirrors and back window that opens.

Seats could have a little more padding. Some more noise reduction spray underneath would help reduce the noise after about 4 years use. Is not too noisy though.

My third Ranger
By salty

This is a great truck. I wish the 3.0L
had the power of some other 3.0L's
have, 158hp is low. Mileage is a steady
19 - 21 Average with Automatic. Great
sound system, CD with Radio.
Tranmission does shift poorly under a
light load, OK under a heavy load. Thin
gauge step bumper, much thinner than my
92 was.

The four door feature saves the back.

More sound proofing in the doors Better more power full 3.0L Better more positive shifting Automatic