Used 1999 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews - 114 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

most dependable vehicle i have ever owned
By jd willey

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck new in 99 and have put 105,000 miles on it. Dependability has been outstanding, fit and finish has maintained extremely well for a daily driver. The suspension, and pretty much all the mechanicals are showing almost NO signs of wear. The only things that I have ever had to replace on it is a brake rotor, the manifold pressure sensor, 1 set of plugs and wires and normal wear items like brake pads, wiper blades, and 1 fan belt. That's it! If this truck ever wears out I will replace it with another Ranger, no doubt.

My favorite feature of this truck has to be the dependability. Next would be the fact that it is built with the same strength as its big brothers from Ford. It is one SOLID truck.

The 3.0 was not in any way a powerful enough engine for this truck. The platform on which this truck is built on is more than capable of utilizing the 4.6 v-8 or even better a Powerstroke with two cylinders shaved off. Progressive rate springs to soften the ride a bit and bigger brakes would be great

takes a licking, keeps on tickin'
By isides

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've had this truck for 6 years. What can I say I LOVE it. Good power for the 3.0, good brakes, 4x4 low in deep snow, mud or sand is great! But it still needs a 4x4 locker stock (I installed one a few years back).

4x4 low is awesome, good stock stereo. Tow rating is under rated; 3.0 with automatic transmission is rated at 3500lbs. I've towed 5000 with no problems thanks to stock transmission cooler on 4x4 model.

Choppy ride. gas mileage better stock tires.

Sticky 4-wheel Drive
By john

1999 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

The truck runs and drives great. We enjoy using it for fun short trips pulling the pop-up camper. However, every time I engage the 4-wheel drive it won't disengage without multiple attempts and switching it back and forth. This happens even after service to the drive line.

I like the appearance of my Stepside and it's a head turner with the "orange' color.

The V-6 flex-fuel motor is not a power house and it won't stay in overdrive under even the slightest load.

Still Lovin It
By Jessica

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I haven't found any problems with any Ford truck. My Ranger has 153,000 miles and still runs great and really no other problems. Before this I owned a 1990 Ford Crew Cab dually; man that was a great truck all around, towing was great. I have also owned other makes and models in Ford and can't complain!

Strong engine and 5 speed auto transmission. Seat comfort - lumbar support, 4x4 low in deep snow, non-premium sound system & CD is great, 4 doors, room inside cab, ground clearance, towing ability. Most of all I really like the 4 doors!

4x4, choppy ride.

great truck
By kyle

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I like the truck overall. Love how it rides higher than most other smaller trucks. Never had a problem with anything on the truck. Buying products off eBay has made maintenance very cheap. I have a 5 speed and it is very fun to drive. Only problem I have noticed is the plastic in the door feels cheap. It is becoming loose and the center seat/compartment is broken. The seat has a few tears in it but it is no problem and looks to be from a knife or other sharp object before I got it. Overall a great truck, but only 23 mpg and I drive mostly highway.

5 speed, towing, speakers are great.

Cup holders, plastic on the inside is cheap, mpg.