Used 1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 88 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Still Seems New
By David James C

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've owned the 4x4 extended cab ranger since 2000, 2nd owner. This truck still seems new to me, even though it has 50,000 miles on it. The only problem is with the 4x4 electrical engagement. There is a problem that will cost me about $500 to fix. Dealer has to replace electrical box on transfer case. Choppy ride is only draw back. Otherwise fit and finish, interior and exterior are still great. Ford replaced the "Firestone roll over tires" for free. All in all I'm still happy with this truck, and it is a shame to see such low ratings. I've been through the new Ford pick-up plant in Dearborn - it is state of the art, and super-environmentally friendly!

Strong engine and 5 speed auto trans. Seat comfort - lumbar support, 4x4 low in deep snow, non-premium sound system & CD is great, 4 doors, room inside cab, ground clearance, towing ability.

4x4 electronic bugs, choppy ride.

Ranger
By clayton

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Pretty reliable. Only had one instance of "down time" when a wire to the oil pan came off and truck wouldn't start. Cost $300 to fix because the local repairman charged $80 to say "I don't know". Took to dealership who fixed it in one morning. Only other problem is with ABS brake light coming on when it rains but ABS braking system is still working.

Sound system in a pickup truck cant be beat.

Long Term Review
By Todd

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This is the first Ranger I've ever owned and has been reliable since new. It has lots of power with the 4.0 and manual trans. The 2500 tow rating is a little underrated as I've pulled a 5000 lb boat and trailer on occasion for a friend. It had a few quirks when it was new such as the squeaking clutch and clunking drive shaft but the dealer has fixed it with out repeat problems. My kids also love riding in the truck and hauling all kinds of stuff. I bought this truck after looking at all the others and couldn't find a better utility vehicle for my family's needs. It does seem to eat brakes quickly but they are very easy to replace. It has been a great truck and I will be sad when it has to go.

4.0 engine, accurate cruise, acceleration is acceptable, 4WD low is awesome! Optional bucket seats are very comfortable. The CD stereo is reasonably acceptable. The A/C is also very capable (Brrrr...)!

More towing capacity for manual transmission. Better factory tires would be great. Why isn't limited slip standard?

1999 Ford Ranger
By 1999 ranger

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I'm really unhappy with this truck. Transmission went out at 37,000 miles when it was out of warrenty and cost me $2,500 to repair. I bought a new truck so I wouldn't have to incur expenses like this. Again at 89,000 miles I put yet another transmission in at $2,500. I'll never by another Ford and I'm stuck with this one till I can save up to replace it, shoveling out huge amounts of money to keep it running makes that hard to do. Beware of Ford trucks.

Get a reliable transmission.

fool me once, shame on me, twice shame....
By not job one

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

For a small truck (4.0L) the mileage is too low. Full size GMC small V8 is near the same. Like all Ford pickups the front brakes are junk. Rotors rusted apart in less than 60,000km, $100 CAD each to replace. The front wheel bearings BOTH went at 107,000Km. $800.00 CAD to replace! I've never known these bearings to fail in other trucks past 275,000km. GARBAGE! Just waiting for the $500 ball joints next. Don't buy this truck, get a Toyota instead.

Looks nice, okay off road but it might break apart if you try a little more than basic stuff.

Better mileage, longer lasting basic drivetrain stuff and some reliability like Toyota! Lower the price if everything is going to fail early so we will have the money to fix it.