Used 1999 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews - 114 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Reliable and economical
By Junaid

1999 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck new. I was a little apprehensive buying American since I have had bad experiences with a GM car. This truck has been very reliable, only had one mass airflow sensor die on me and it was a $100 fix. I put in myself with a screwdriver. It's almost 100,000 miles now and I haven't even had to replace the battery or brakes. It just keeps on ticking. It's the basic model with AC so few things to break down.

Reliable. Low-maintenance. 25+mpg highway. Enough ground clearance to handle most dirt roads in the Pacific NW. Cold AC

Better MAF sensor. Locking fuel cap

Great little reliable truck
By Hatch

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

This was the second Ranger I have owned and both were very reliable vehicles. If were not for the rough ride and the need for a larger vehicle for a new baby I would definitely hold onto it. I've never had any problems when driving it in the last six years (90,000 miles) and got my clear through college. That is if you don't count the time I had to go through the fuel system thanks to my wife putting diesel in my fuel tank on accident.

Reliable, easy to work on, comfortable seats, sporty

Rough ride (typical of a small truck), door ajar light stays on, gas mileage (can be improved with a bed cover)

Very Fun
By Chris R.

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I purchased my '99 Ford Ranger Sport 4x4 in the summer of '07. It's been pretty good, all things considered. A 4.0L OHV (245 CID) V6 makes this truck take off very well with the 5 speed auto. It's been a very fun daily driver / project truck for me. This is probably one of Ford better products by far. The "Sport Package" really gives this truck a nice edge by replacing the cheesy chrome body accents with painted accents that match the body. This truck is just what I need, not too big and not too large. I'd say the pound for pound use you can get out of the truck is much better compared to the full size truck on the market. The Ranger is a very great value!

Sport bucket seats a nice and comfy. 4.0 engine is loaded with torque and is built like a rock. Interior is simple, sweet, and to the point. 18.5 mpg (I drive country roads) out of a 4x4 pickup with a large V6 is quite good. Engine compartment is easy to work in and is not cramped

4.0 V6's have bad problems with cracked heads (rebuilt my 4.0 at 78,000... $2750 for a rebuild). Vacuum lock front hubs for 4 wheel drive fail regularly (the best fix was just to slap some manually operated ones on for $100). Transmission valve body gasket blows ($225 repair at the shop)

3rd Ranger in a row!
By Wayne D.

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

3rd Ranger in 15 years. This the newest a '99 XLT Extended Cab, SB. Bought used w/ 92K at a local truck dealer. I love this truck, but the 3.0 does lack power and for such a small engine, and for that, the fuel economy stinks. It is built for a small truck however. I put new heavy duty leaf springs from JC Whitney, which lifted the rear and fixed the load droop, fixed up numerous minor wear/tear and tune up stuff (brakes, water pump, tires, plugs, shocks, etc.) At 145K, developed a lifter tick which 2/3 quart Marvel Mystery oil solved. Overall, I love it regartdless and will keep it until it dies, 'cause it's not worth enough to part with anyway!

Dark green metallic paint, extended cab, cool factory aluminum wheels, straight as an arrow and does not wear out tires! Tough little truck.

Wow... more power for the 3.0L! I mix "Lucas Oil" fuel additive / lubricant, and a noticiable difference in power as well as mileage (go figure!) Inlet fuel filter fitting is a bear to remove.

Great truck
By bluedevil3758

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I have 135k on the truck and no major repairs, just fluids and exhaust. I however did replace an axle shaft after a guy hit my rear end but I felt lucky considering I was able to still drive it while his car was in a bunch of pieces. I have really beat on this thing bought it from my Dad when i was 17 and took it off roading all the time and have put 2000lbs in the bed a couple of time. The only thing I wish was different was the 4x4 Ford uses a vacuum system to engage the system which always fails. I switched to manual hubs and no more problems. The 3.0 and 4.10 rear end is a pretty nice set up

4.10 gears, great hauling ability, rated at about 1300 but very composed up till 1800lbs

Get rid of pvh hubs which they did but I would avoid 4x4 Ranger from 98 to 00 unless you are willing to install manual hubs. A limited slip would be nice but not necessary