Used 1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 88 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

135,000+ miles and runs great
By Rich

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Sometimes i think people just have bad luck or something. I've noticed a couple bad reviews and just don't understand. I bought my ranger used in 2000 with 23,000 miles on it and it now has 135,000+ miles on it and still runs awesomely. I've only had to change the tires, muffler, clean and replace the mass airflow sensor, brakes/rotors, and that's it. That's all crap, you need to replace regardless of what you drive. Hell, I'm even very bad about changing my oil! I think I've even gone nearly 2 years without changing the oil! My ranger is by far my favorite vehicle purchase. It keeps ticking and NEVER lets me down.

*Dependable *Powerful V6 *Timeless look *Comfortable for 2 people

I wish i had power windows but no biggie

Terrible
By Chris

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

Bought this truck close to a year ago and I've had nothing but problems with it. I bought it, found out the ball joints needed to be replaced. A dealership cannot legally sell a vehicle that is in bad mechanical shape, so I called them and they agreed to pay the cost of the ball joints. Then I found out that I needed new cylinder heads and a head gasket, they paid half. Then the wheel bearing went and so did the hubs. Used hubs are hard to come by as you need a special tool to take a hub off this ranger without breaking it. I keep getting failing idle control valves as well. My boss use to own it, he put $3000 into it. Truck has 246000 km on it, but it shouldn't be breaking this much.

Its got alright fuel economy, even when in 4wd. But that also depends on how hard you drive it, I've passed people on a 2 lane highway and I've actually noticed the fuel gauge goes down just from that single pass.

Everything. Especially power! How can you give a pickup 160hp and say its good to pull a 5000 lbs trailer...even worse is that the newer rangers have a 3L and they have 200+ hp

Still going after 110K
By Jon

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

Had little problems with this truck. Used it like a truck, towing, hauling and long distance travel. Had to replace clutch at 95K, my fault, towing a boat long distance that was too heavy for my truck. 110K now with no major problems, "door ajar" light always on so I just removed fuse. Wipers turn on more frequently, but I've read elsewhere that is common for this model year Ranger. Added an electronic brake controller,heavy duty rear shocks and class III hitch for towing. Truck is a little sluggish now, but full synthetic oil, K&N filter and new plugs and it's still running strong once it gets going.

comfortable for one or two people, decent gas mileage.

Why doesn't Ford fix "door ajar" sensor and wiper switch problem.

Great truck for anything!
By LoneRanger

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck with 100k on the clock and have put 120k on it since for a total of 220k miles!!! It has the 3.0 in it and its the best truck I have ever owned, it has never let me down. Other than normal stuff i.e. brakes tires and a few ball joints its been problem free. I would buy another ranger in a second. Only downfall of the truck is the ride. Front susp. is a little whooped out. Also rangers are known (in the north) for the rear shackles rotting out which mine have. A $100 fix if you do it yourself. And rear springs could be stronger. I haul dirt bikes 3 times a week all over Ohio and its perfect. Buy a Ford ranger.

The truck just loves to drive and won't stop. Drove from OH to NC with 200k miles and not a problem. And AC blasts ice cold!

Rear shackles and rear springs need to be stronger. And the tailgate bottoms tend to rust. But its a perfect little truck.

99 Ranger- A Tank
By later

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought my 99 2wd xlt new and still have it. Have put 186000 on it in 10 years, hauled wood, driven over fields, towed a trailer and driven it to work. Replaced clutch at 56,000 (daughter learned to drive a stick), sway bar broke at 186,000, electical issues at 120,000, about $1000 repair. Replaced the original battery at 175,000, new brakes about 130,000. Tired of the stick shift but this truck goes and goes. This has been a tank and I highly recommend it.

tow package