Used 1998 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews - 82 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Very Nice Little Truck
By Chris

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought a 1998 Ford Ranger 2.5 liter I4 for $2400 for my first truck back in February of 07 and it was a great little truck. I had very little problems with it, I did have to replace the exhaust and the rear leaf spring shackles and mounts. I had dual exhaust put on and it sounded very nice. Not like a Honda or a weedwacker on steriods. For a four cylinder truck it was very quick, and reliable. Never broke down or any engine problems. In the winter all you need for the snow with the 2wd type is good tires and i put four 70 pound sand bags in the bed and it went through anything. I absolutly loved this truck up until the day someone t-boned me and totaled it. Awesome truck overall.

Everything. Great sounding factory speakers.

Nothing.

Great small truck
By JC

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Can't say much more than the title. Have owned this truck for about two years now and the one thing that stands out is that it will go just about anywhere. Have taken it up 45 degree hills with no slippage in mud and snow and it tows my 16.5' bass boat as if it was not even there. Have experienced some of the normal, minor problems of this model but all of the info available on the web makes fixing hem a breeze.

IFS - Standard Ford bolt pattern - Comfortable front seats - modifiability (if that is indeed a word)

Better MPG - better stereo equipment - include an overhead console like the explorer and widen the truck and release the four-door Ranger line in the Us for cripes sake.

Fun little work-a-bout
By truck-guy

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

This is my third Ranger and all were purchased used. I like the Ranger and this one has not dissapointed me. I must say the previous owners took good care of this truck, I got a bargain when I found it. My own loot at it followed by my friendly mechanic's evaluation confirmed that this rig is in top shape. I like the 4.0L V-6, it has plent of power for fairly heavy hauling and medium towing.

Need I say? The 4.0L V-6 is bulletproof.

Great Truck
By 4x4RangerGuy

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

Besides the automatic, my Ranger has been bulletproof. I off-road as a hobby, and this truck has taken me everywhere without ever breaking a thing. The 3.0 V6 is bulletproof, and the 4x4 always works. I replaced the hubs with manual hubs to get rid of the vacuum assist, and it's been great. The truck is comfortable, and it has been on long trips with no complaints. These magazines are bought out by Japanese manufacturers, so they never have anything decent to say about American vehicles. Well, the Ranger disproves it all. A solid, well built and well priced vehicle. I will be buying another Ford Ranger for my next vehicle.

3.0 V6 reliability, manual transmissions are bulletproof, off road capability is great. Truck is reliable!

Offer a solid front axle, none of this IFS minivan stuff. A V8 would be nice.

The Best Compact Pickup Out There!
By Jordan

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I really love the Ford Ranger because it goes forever on a tank of gas. I bought this truck used and it was in excellent shape. It is great acceleration with the 5 speed transmission. I would recomened this vehicle to a friend.

CD player. Power windows and locks. Airbags. Air conditioning. Power from the 2.5L 4 cylinder!

None