Used 1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Consumer Reviews - 39 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Very Nice Little Truck
By Chris

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought a 1998 Ford Ranger 2.5 liter I4 for $2400 for my first truck back in February of 07 and it was a great little truck. I had very little problems with it, I did have to replace the exhaust and the rear leaf spring shackles and mounts. I had dual exhaust put on and it sounded very nice. Not like a Honda or a weedwacker on steriods. For a four cylinder truck it was very quick, and reliable. Never broke down or any engine problems. In the winter all you need for the snow with the 2wd type is good tires and i put four 70 pound sand bags in the bed and it went through anything. I absolutly loved this truck up until the day someone t-boned me and totaled it. Awesome truck overall.

Everything. Great sounding factory speakers.

Nothing.

Fun little work-a-bout
By truck-guy

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

This is my third Ranger and all were purchased used. I like the Ranger and this one has not dissapointed me. I must say the previous owners took good care of this truck, I got a bargain when I found it. My own loot at it followed by my friendly mechanic's evaluation confirmed that this rig is in top shape. I like the 4.0L V-6, it has plent of power for fairly heavy hauling and medium towing.

Need I say? The 4.0L V-6 is bulletproof.

The Best Compact Pickup Out There!
By Jordan

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I really love the Ford Ranger because it goes forever on a tank of gas. I bought this truck used and it was in excellent shape. It is great acceleration with the 5 speed transmission. I would recomened this vehicle to a friend.

CD player. Power windows and locks. Airbags. Air conditioning. Power from the 2.5L 4 cylinder!

None

review of 98 Ranger XLT
By Max

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have had many years of service from my Ranger and have had no problems with it for the first seven years I owned it. This year however, I have had some small problem and one major repair. My total repair cost for the Ranger is less than $1000 dollars over the past eight years.

It is a work horse that will not die! Very fun to drive, and easy to park in the city. The Ranger MPG is great for a truck.

It needs four doors and more room for people with long legs.

great truck
By justin

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I purchased this truck as a prior salvage that had been repaired. I have abused this truck in every way imaginable and have had no problems other than general maintenance. I put 110000 miles on this truck in two years. Almost all of those miles were highway with the governor holding me back. I have hauled four wheelers, motorcycles, concrete, railroad timbers just anything i can fit in it. Replaced shocks at 130,000 miles, crank sensor at 150,000 miles. Replaced belt tensioner at 176,000 miles. I have rarely changed the oil on time and once went over about 11,000 miles. I have recently had front end end work done. I haven't even changed the plugs or wires and the truck still runs great.

Mine has 4.0 v6. Very quick for a small pick up. I'm a big guy, about 6'3, and I'm fairly comfortable in it.

none.