Used 1998 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews - 81 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

One Super Neat truck
By Jim Mac

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

Have been looking for a Ford Ranger for a present for my wife as she was wanting one. Was very lucky to find a Ranger extended cab step side 4x4 Off Road package for the money and black to boot. She is absolutely thrilled with it and intends to keep it for a long time.

Everything about the truck is a favorite. 4X4 setup is great and totally fun to drive.

Possibly a little boost on the V-6 engine, other than that don't change it as it is perfect as it is.

I like it like that
By Cobalt Blue

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I bought the truck in February (2008) from a private seller -- only 65000 miles. It has 16-inch wheels, a 3.73 rear-end, 4 liter V6, and 5-speed manual. I don't drive it all the time, but in driving it back and forth to work it's been getting 22 mpg, average. I've gotten as high as 24 mpg. The drive to work is 20 miles one-way. Part is through town and part is open highway. The AC quit working after operating oddly about a month after I got the truck. I still need to have checked. The truck has good power, but I wouldn't want to tow much with it, because if feels like its geared pretty "tall". I really am satisfied with it. The bed is small, but what do you expect with a short-bed?

Extended cab. Good sounding radio that seems to pick up AM and FM quite well. Good gas mileage. Nice bright red color and step-side styling.

The seats slide forward when you lean them forward to get to the back area. I guess the 4-door models have "fixed" this nuisance. Some wind noise around doors, but its tolerable.

Cool little truck but mine gets problems
By Ranger Danger

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

From what everybody says on here, they love their Ranger and theirs is reliable. Mine on the other hand is already on its third clutch and I baby this truck like no other. My idle valve control keeps messing up and i'm on my fifth one already thats starting to fail(revs when I come to a complete stop). My back window leaks when it rains, engine idles rough sometimes, suspension squeaks loudly but its probably normal for it having 140,000 miles. I'm the second owner and the previous owner (which was my good neighbor so I saw the truck first day they purchased it.) They babied it as much as I did so I must have gotten a lemon from the factory but it wasn't always like this.

Besides the problems, I loved this truck when I first got it as none of the problems existed. I like how this truck is very easy to work on except for the two back spark plugs you can't get to due to the intake being in the way. Also it's my tent when I go camping, I sleep inside with windows down

I think just mine needs improvements as I heard other owners quite satisfied with theirs. My light too also stays on when the passenger side door opens but I just pull the fuse out when it does. Also they need to seal the back windshield better.

Great Little Truck!
By Olen

1998 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I am 16 years old and this is my first car! I can not say how pleased I am with this vehicle. Performance: a 3.0 liter V6. Can move the truck but is not an engine you can dog all day long. Comfort: Seats are very comfy and have great lumbar support. Back seat is fit for cargo only but my 8 yr old brother can fit back there. Fuel economy could be better. I get 18 city/22 hwy. Fun to drive, easy to drive. Shocks could be better but it's a truck! What do you expect? Interior design looks alright but I'm going to pimp it out soon! Exterior design looks awesome. Looks way better than S10s. Build quality: built to last...built to love. Reliability: very few problems!

I love the look of it. I can adjust the seats and can slide them back pretty far (mines extended cab). Can haul enough junk in the bed but is not a gas hog. Speakers are pretty loud. I might be getting new speakers anyway though

I need a little more power in the engine. I would like to see better gas mileage. 4 door Ranger would be nice. Radio stinks. I'm getting an in dash DVD player for it soon. Grille could look better

1998 Ranger
By Ron

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I bought this truck new in 1998 and put 150,000 miles on it over the first 5 years. Overall the truck has been quite reliable. The two problem areas have been the interior light staying on and multiple issues with the air conditioning. Other than that the vehicle has never left me stranded. In fact, I have a 4 cylinder/5 speed stick and have never even replaced any part of the drivetrain in cluding the clutch. The truck currently has over 175,000 miles and continues to run like new.

It appears that the problem I have experienced with the interior light is widespread, perhaps Ford should rectify this.