Used 1998 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews - 81 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

It's aight
By Andrew

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I bought my Ranger from my Uncle who kept it in top shape. I have had it a little over a year now and it has 71,000 miles on it. My biggest complaint has to be the traction, this thing spins on spit. Mechanically the only issue's that I am having is the idle air control needed to be replaced $90.00, easy do it yourself though. My a/c pump engages all the time, even when the a/c and defrosters aren't on. Don't know what that issue is, never bothered me enough to have it checked out.

it's kinda plain, nothing too special.

Better fuel economy.

98 Ranger XLT 2.5L 5 spd
By M.E. Meyers

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought truck new in 1998 for $10k. It has been - by far- the best vehicle I have ever owned. Extremely reliable. Power is adequate with the 5spd manual and fuel economy is never below 23 mpg and can be 28 with care. Light rear end means no traction in wet/snow. But it does great donuts in the snow!! A/C still blows cold after 11 years and my original clutch still feels fine with 180k miles. Considering what I paid, I cannot ask for anything more. Great little truck. Last of the "light weights" Its peers have grown to be bloated and thirsty - hope that does not happen to the next-gen Ranger, but it probably will

Reliability, durability of materials and components, gas mileage

a little more power would be nice; less bouncy ride; quieter steering pump and rack

average
By D man

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought my 98 ranger in 2000 with 42000 miles now I have 150000 on it. It has worked great even though i put it through h***. Not much to complain about expect the 4x4. For the past 4 years I have had to put new 4 wheel drive hubs in. Not a cheap fix. Wish it had a more reliable 4x4 system. Overall a nice truck

The ability to haul just about everything I need to haul. Has a pretty good payload

A new 4x4 system would be nice. Maybe something with manual locking hubs.

11 Years & Still Going Great
By decajun45

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck used when it was about 6 months old. I got to say I really like it. While not the most comfortable or most stylish vehicle, the thing works great. I have over 135,000 miles on it and have not had a single problem besides normal wear & tear and 1 leak in the roof started last year (which I still haven't fixed - lazy me). The power is decent. I have no problem getting up to 65 mph when I get on the highway. It's not very comfortable to ride in on long trips, but hey it's a small pick up, not a Mercedes.

The damn thing works great. Only 1 problem besides normal wear & tear. This is a very reliable small truck.

Make it more comfortable to ride in on long trips. I had to change a flat on it once and had a hell of a time getting the jack set up and lifting the truck off the ground. It has to have the worst jacking system I have ever seen.

great truck
By midwest ranger

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

This is a great truck! I've had this truck for 11 years. I've moved myself and family members ( mother, brother, daughter, etc.) 15 xs. That 3.0L engine has never let me down. And I average 22 mpg with an auto tranny and 3.45 axle.

It's reliability.

Diesel engine option, 20 gal. tank, ext. cab w/7' bed.