Used 1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Consumer Reviews - 37 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

98 Ranger XLT 2.5L 5 spd
By M.E. Meyers

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought truck new in 1998 for $10k. It has been - by far- the best vehicle I have ever owned. Extremely reliable. Power is adequate with the 5spd manual and fuel economy is never below 23 mpg and can be 28 with care. Light rear end means no traction in wet/snow. But it does great donuts in the snow!! A/C still blows cold after 11 years and my original clutch still feels fine with 180k miles. Considering what I paid, I cannot ask for anything more. Great little truck. Last of the "light weights" Its peers have grown to be bloated and thirsty - hope that does not happen to the next-gen Ranger, but it probably will

Reliability, durability of materials and components, gas mileage

a little more power would be nice; less bouncy ride; quieter steering pump and rack

11 Years & Still Going Great
By decajun45

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck used when it was about 6 months old. I got to say I really like it. While not the most comfortable or most stylish vehicle, the thing works great. I have over 135,000 miles on it and have not had a single problem besides normal wear & tear and 1 leak in the roof started last year (which I still haven't fixed - lazy me). The power is decent. I have no problem getting up to 65 mph when I get on the highway. It's not very comfortable to ride in on long trips, but hey it's a small pick up, not a Mercedes.

The damn thing works great. Only 1 problem besides normal wear & tear. This is a very reliable small truck.

Make it more comfortable to ride in on long trips. I had to change a flat on it once and had a hell of a time getting the jack set up and lifting the truck off the ground. It has to have the worst jacking system I have ever seen.

great truck
By midwest ranger

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

This is a great truck! I've had this truck for 11 years. I've moved myself and family members ( mother, brother, daughter, etc.) 15 xs. That 3.0L engine has never let me down. And I average 22 mpg with an auto tranny and 3.45 axle.

It's reliability.

Diesel engine option, 20 gal. tank, ext. cab w/7' bed.

Cool little truck but mine gets problems
By Ranger Danger

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

From what everybody says on here, they love their Ranger and theirs is reliable. Mine on the other hand is already on its third clutch and I baby this truck like no other. My idle valve control keeps messing up and i'm on my fifth one already thats starting to fail(revs when I come to a complete stop). My back window leaks when it rains, engine idles rough sometimes, suspension squeaks loudly but its probably normal for it having 140,000 miles. I'm the second owner and the previous owner (which was my good neighbor so I saw the truck first day they purchased it.) They babied it as much as I did so I must have gotten a lemon from the factory but it wasn't always like this.

Besides the problems, I loved this truck when I first got it as none of the problems existed. I like how this truck is very easy to work on except for the two back spark plugs you can't get to due to the intake being in the way. Also it's my tent when I go camping, I sleep inside with windows down

I think just mine needs improvements as I heard other owners quite satisfied with theirs. My light too also stays on when the passenger side door opens but I just pull the fuse out when it does. Also they need to seal the back windshield better.

1998 Ranger
By Ron

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I bought this truck new in 1998 and put 150,000 miles on it over the first 5 years. Overall the truck has been quite reliable. The two problem areas have been the interior light staying on and multiple issues with the air conditioning. Other than that the vehicle has never left me stranded. In fact, I have a 4 cylinder/5 speed stick and have never even replaced any part of the drivetrain in cluding the clutch. The truck currently has over 175,000 miles and continues to run like new.

It appears that the problem I have experienced with the interior light is widespread, perhaps Ford should rectify this.