Used 1997 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews - 72 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Has never failed me
By Kevin

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

This is my first truck. I got it when I turned 17 and it has been a great car. I don't take care of it and I drive it like I stole it, but it keeps on going. Starts every time and never leaves me stranded. I even wrecked it and I still drive it today without replacing anything but the windshield. It has some problems with the gas line. There is a crack in the filler neck hose so I lose gas onto the ground every time I put gas into it and I only get 17 mpg. It idles pretty rough too. Its pretty fast for a 4 cylinder with the the aero dynamics of a brick. Overall this has been a great truck and I'm content with it.

Comfortable seats, Color(Dark Red), Reliability, rear sliding window, folding center console, Cd Player (stock cd/casset player), Interior looks great and it very similar to the current rangers interior, I love being high off the ground and this truck sits pretty "]

More power, better speakers, tachometer should be standard, more space in the cab would be nice, I don't see the point in a long bed ranger(mine is a long bed and it looks a little awkward), Better gas mileage (even without the gas leak the gas mileage is low for a 4 cylinder), Brighter Headlights

Great for 12 years
By randy

1997 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck new, it was inexpensive and all the more truck that I needed. It was a bit of a challenge in four wheel drive( tough turning) and had very little off road hill power,in my back yard. The engined revved all the time, when stop at stop signs etc and would not idle down, I believe this cause this truck to really use the gas. I had to replaced five idler pulleys because of the screeching from the engine compartment.I changed the oil every 3000- 5000 miles. The truck had 79,000 miles 9-16-09 and without warning the engine went. It was a good vehicle but low mileage and it's now JUNK.

still going
By artifishal bait

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

it is the best truck i owned and would recommend it to beginner drivers. i own the 5 speed 3.0L 4 cylinder with 176000 miles and it is flippin awesome to drive and drives like a cadilac

everything

nothing

Last US truck I will ever own
By LA24

1997 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I got this truck with only 6000 miles on it. It has been nothing but problems here are some. Wheel bearings 10000 miles, endless ignition problems nobody can get it to run right 4 different shops, hubs 29000 miles and i rarely use 4 wheel, front u joints 60000 miles, steering wheel locked up, electrical problem, brake seal 65000, sensors relaced, heater stuck on hot, always some sort on electrical problems. This truck is junk. Don't buy.

A sad farwell to a old friend
By Mechaicsville Steve

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

After the years of abuse today I finally retired my old friend the Ranger. (190,000 miles) Bought this truck with 80k on it and never had any major problems, only repairs were basic repairs, leaf springs and a alternator. This truck has been through a lot, multiple deer strikes, a guardrail or 2 and more and still kept on going. Sadly though the list of problems that started to build up on it at 180K have taken its toll and I had to junk it even though it still runs. Amazing is all I can say after the hell I had put it through. Never burned one drop of oil. It was so good on oil that I would only change it every 10,000 miles!

Reliablity. Best 3000 bucks I ever spent.

A little more leg room, fix the dome light issue (which I am sure by now they have)