Used 2006 Ford Mustang GT Premium Consumer Reviews - 115 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Mustang

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Great Stang
By KIKI

2006 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Great car, dollar for dollar the most gratifying car I've owned. After coming off a slug slow but reliable BMW this is a very fun exciting ride. Wife's Audi which left our world last month feeling like a recovering crack addict, put her in the new 2009 flex. Average mileage 60% city 40% freeway/speedway southern california avg hghwy speed 80 mph overall mileage 21 on the Mustang v-8 quite impressive. Can't say enough about this car plan to hit 300k before retirement then it will still be worth a rebuild for weekend duties and fun.

Power, classic looks, handling, exhaust rumble, all-American attitude

More adjustable headrest, engine dressed for the gear heads who want to look under the hood.

Dream car
By jim

2006 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I wanted a lime 68 as a kid but never could afford one. Now I am 50 and Ford not only brought back the color, but they made it look like what I wanted. I had been looking for a 68 or 69 in that color, which is impossible to find so I saw this 06 on the internet at my local dealer. One test drive made me realize that I didnt want an old one anymore. I got the looks coupled with power handling and a quality in the build that the 68 and 69 were lacking. So far I can't say enough good things about the car and hope to get a grabber orange to add to the 89 convertible, 98 coupe and 06 GT that I have now.

Great car, and holds up well
By Brandon - STANG281

2006 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I've owned it for about 2 1/2 years now, I have about 45,000 miles on it. This was my first car, first manual. The clutch has been slipping for the past 10,000 miles or so (but held up well in my opinion). The handle/knob broke off of the driver seat release to lift it forward in order to get to the back seat. The rear differential has the TSB whining noise during low speed turns. And I also had a problem a few times with the TSB of water leaking into the passenger floorboard and causing some electrical problems. Overall, it's held up very well considering the abuse it's received. The seats are uncomfortable on a 2 1/2+ hour drive. The gas mileage is bearable, and not bad for the performance

Power, handling, engine/exhaust sound, great exterior and interior styling, MyColor gauges, 18" Bullitt wheels

Water tightness of the build, at least one cupholder for the backseat, armrest for backseat, gas mileage, power

Best bang for your buck!
By Alan

2006 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

This is my third Mustang, my last being an '88 GT convertible that I also bought new. What a difference 18 years can make! This car is faster, smoother, quieter (yes, I know a convertible is noisier, I'm comparing to friends' '88 GT hatchback), quicker around the corners, stops better, sounds better and gets better gas mileage to boot. What's not to love? This car was love at first sight. I sold two cars to swing the downpayment and special ordered the car with all the toys - 18" wheels, and a 1000 watt 6 disc with subwoofers in the trunk. I'm a stick shift guy and this car has a wonderfully smooth transmission that shifts much better than my '88 GT. I commute 55 mi./day and get 22mpg

The stereo which can rattle windows a block away. The wide power band that will idle in first gear in traffic or tear your head off with a redline power shift.

Instant MPG in numbers instead of the stupid bar graph. Thicker padding on the seats for better long distance comfort.

Built Ford Tuff
By Adrian

2006 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I waited to buy a Mustang after I saw that a new boby style was coming out. I ordered mine from my brother who is a manager at a Ford dealer. Over the phone I showed him several web sites that had the type of spoiler, stripes and front air dam that I wanted. I grew up with sixties muscle cars and wanted mine to look retro. So many people stopped me to ask about the car that it began to get embarassing. The car look great. Dark Blue with white LeMans stripes, and a duck tail spoiler. My neighbor(its been across the street for 2 yrs)asked my wife what kind of milage I was getting with that old muscle car. She told him 20+ combined city/Hwy. he called her a lier,and she told him it was an 06.

Style, handling, performance.

Increase the displacement of the engine but I know that won't happen because of the Cobra. Not to much to improve on. The Cobra has 500hp vs 300 for mine and is only 1/2 second fasted 0-60, and I'm use regular gas. With minor mods I could more than make up that difference and mine cost 1/2 as much.