Used 2006 Ford Mustang Coupe Consumer Reviews - 228 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Mustang Coupe

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

1800 miles...Review #2
By VC

2006 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Check my first review on 6/8/06 after a week of ownership. Now I've had my Tungsten Gray GT Premium/5 speed around 6 weeks and almost 2K on the odometer. Wow! I use the car as my daily driver (mixed commute) and I'm averaging 22.5 mpg. The car has really settled in and the shifting is smoother now. I can still say that I get a smile on my face every time I fire her up plus I have gotten a lot of people to stop me just to talk about it...everyone loves it! I'm still in shock that the car is so comfortable/economical for a V8 muscle car. Ford has really come a long way from my '67 Fastback 289 cu.in. in the areas of quality, driveability and safety...not to mention "out of the box" performance.

Interior is very comfortable and the seating position is great...everything is where you need it. The 6 disc changer is awesome...packed with great features. I love the exhaust note (it's loud when you want it to be and silent when cruising on the highway at 70-75 mph). Handling is a perfect balance.

A few quirks: the turn signal "click" is kinda too loud. I still wish for a bit more storage space in the interior (change drawer, door pockets, etc.) but, hey, it's a sports car not an SUV. But then again, I'm getting MUCH BETTER gas mileage than my wife's SUV so there.

Just makes me smile!
By ed

2006 Ford Mustang Coupe V6 Premium 2dr Coupe (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

At 57 years old I have had a lot of cars. But this is the first one in a long time, that every time I get in I smile. It is a blast to drive. I feel like I am a kid again. It holds the road like it's on tracks and the V-6 has plenty of go. The interior, for a small car, fits like a glove. No matter where I go I get nothing but stares.

The exhaust sound and the handling.

Make the red more like a fire engine red.

All Show, Not Enough Go
By Brian

2006 Ford Mustang Coupe V6 Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I knew Ford had a winner when I saw the wonderful concept car. With slick retro styling and more power, I was sure I would love the car. I really like both interior and exterior styling and the car is very comfortable, even with the stiff(ish) suspension tuning. The car handles pretty well for the money too. I am a bit disappointed with the lack-luster acceleration. I'm not looking for high-end V8 numbers here, but I don't feel even a slight surge when flooring the accelerator-even when downshifting first. It seems to accelerate the same whether the pedal is at half-way or pinned to the floor. Most of us don't drag race these things, but a little more power would be appreciated.

The styling is great. A nice mixture of retro and modernistic styling. Pretty good shifter too.

Straight line acceleration would be great. Nothing too ridiculous, just enough to remind us that we are in fact, in a Mustang. I'd also like to see a different position for the cup holders. Cups tend to get in the way of shifting.

Toy With Attitude
By John

2006 Ford Mustang Coupe GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I finally got the car I always wanted and couldn't be happier. This car turns heads wherever it goes and never fails to excite. It is a great daily driver but when you push the go pedal it pushes you back into your seat above 4 grand in a very nice continuous power band up till about 5000rpm before redline; even at 6000 ft in Colorado this car pulls nicely. The $4000 buck premium for the convertible is well worth it - the very well made rag top goes up and down fairly quickly and when up holds out the road noise pretty nicely. I highly recommend this vehicle for people that want a whole heck of a lot of fun for a very reasonable price.

Engine, engine, and the engine. This car has been totally embraced by the aftermarket makers for everything from CAI's to turbos to superchargers. The top is great and fit and finish seem very good for a domestic car.

Fix the darn skipper 500. Add more features for reading MP3's. Do something to liven up the center console that in all black is very very boring to look at. Chop the darn 18,000 foot radio antenna and shorten it.

Having fun
By S. Taylor

2006 Ford Mustang Coupe V6 Premium 2dr Coupe (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I'm having the time of my life! After years of minivans & sedans, my wife decided I needed a "fun" car. I've wanted a Mustang since drooling over the 67's as a kid. This has all the style of that vintage, with the benefit of some 21st century engineering. The V6 has plenty of get up and go for my needs. I enjoy the modestly "throaty" sound, especially on startup. The leather interior and Shaker 500 sound system just add to the fun. While I would like to get even better gas mileage, it's hard to complain about 20 mpg (my average so far) given the power available. No more "lugging" up hills!

The looks from other guys my age who are clearly thinking "wow!" The power seat & lumbar support are also helpful for this aging fan.

Easier access to the seatbelt from front seats. Height adjustment for front passenger would also be nice. But that's really getting picky. It's a great car! My Reliability score is a guess at this point: too new to tell. But everything seems well constructed so far.