Used 2005 Ford Mustang Consumer Reviews - 492 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Mustang

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

eye magnet
By jim swisher

2005 Ford Mustang Premium 2dr Convertible (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I sold off my '76 Corvette for the '05 Ford Mustang convertible. It is a true sports car with a back seat and a trunk. Though a little tight, it's more than i had before. Ford finally got the looks right. the Mustang II look is over. This is straight out of the Sixties! The 4.0L/210 h.p. pulls good with the 5 speed transmission. Iif you can afford $6.00 more per fill up go 4.6L/300 hp, you'll get an extra muffler too). Well built and handles well for stock suspension. I'm impressed. Go test drive one for yourself.

I got the premium v-6 with all the options. Came that way from the lot. Plus a couple of extras. Look at brochure at a dealership. Black paint, tan interior/convertible and spinners. Hard not to look at it!

Instrument cluster looks similar to '65. Hard to see during the day. Needs back lighting.

A mixed bag, but more fun than a Honda
By kevin

2005 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

This car was well worth the wait. It's a blast to drive, and people love to look at it. I've only had a few problems with it (mentioned below). I do wish it had more hp. I know that sounds insane, but it should have hp equal to that ugly GTO that Pontiac is making. This car is rated less than the '98 Camaro. Seven years later those cars should not be able to keep up with Ford. That said, this is way better than any Mustang ever made, even the 69. Classic car guys will disagree, but this one beats in in quality, performance, sound system, mpg, paint quality, crash tests, and driveablity. Love the car.

The way the car looks outside, and the performance is awesome considering it's only a 4.6 V8. Love the look of the interior.

My hand hits the stereo every time I shift into 3rd. It's like Ford messed up at the factory when they installed the 5 speed. Also there's a weird pointed piece of plastic under the steering wheel that I hit with my knee if the seat was pulled to far ahead. Weird squeak when I back up just started

Overpriced American Car
By Chris K.

2005 Ford Mustang Premium 2dr Coupe (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

The car is nice looking. But thats about as far as it goes. There is no back seat room. The dash and instrument panel are very inexpensive, looking like something you would find in a $10K car. Even the leather seats have room for improvement. The automatic transmission clunks when you put it in gear. The rear end feels like your riding on marbles. The list goes on. My wife wanted this car for its looks and from driving it, that's all it has.

Sonic Blue color and nice Stereo system. I think that's about the only good things I can say about the car.

Transmission needs improvement with clunking. Do something about the suspension in the rear for a smoother ride or at least get the marble like feeling out of the rear end. The design is good; the engineering is lacking.

Reliving our youth
By Rmtnone

2005 Ford Mustang Premium 2dr Coupe (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

My husband and I bought our Mustang in April, and so far we are very happy with every aspect of the car. We find the handling and performance of the car outstanding. My husband compares it to his '68 Mustang and thinks it is even more fun. We have the exterior sports package and I have to say that we could live without the Mustang decal, but that is probably the only thing we would change. Overall, this a great car, we would prefer to get better gas mileage, but if your going to have a car like this I guess gas mileage isn't at the top of your list. Reliving your youth could be though. Thanks Ford for bringing back a REAL Mustang!

2005 Mustang V-6 Premium
By captnfred

2005 Ford Mustang Premium 2dr Coupe (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

While the 2005 Mustang V-6 is no GT Muscle Car, it is a great bargain, has adequate power, is very quick and handles like a sports car should. The Premium version with leather has a classic interior that's comfortable and sporty. The car is rock solid with no rattles or creaks. The Shaker 500 sound system is OK but could use more midrange. Great ride for the price.

The V-6 has a nice rumble and the 5- speed manual is smooth as silk. The handling in tight turns is fantastic. The exterior styling's resemblance to Mustangs of old is spot on.

The center console and door armrests could be just a bit higher. There should be an inside gas cap door and trunk release. The sun visors need slide out extenders.