Used 2005 Ford Mustang Consumer Reviews - 492 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Mustang

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Ready to Run!!
By bigginny87

2005 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I really enjoyed this car, no major problems. It took most of its life in AZ where I bought it, in 08 with 48k on it, then drove it too NY, Now has 61k, never seen a NY winter. Its fast, and sporty or it can be a normal car, all depends on how you drive it, me I enjoy winning the races! Its roomy only in the front seats, rears are good for college books lol. Problems I have are popping sound while turning at low speeds, i cant find anything nor can the mechanics. Other thing is the 2 water leaks i had, a/c drain box, but that was just a drain plug, was plugged, the other i cant find but the driver side seatbelt fills with water when it rains.

The auto windows up and down, and before you open the doors it lowers then hires when you shut the door. The gears are close together, good for banging those gears out. The retro looks every body wants too stare at it.

Seals around doors, and windows. More power with the fuel economy.

American Muscle
By John

2005 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I was concerned and apprehensive when I went from a Mercedes C230 Sport to the Mustang GT Convertible. On day two I knew I made the right decision. This car rocks! The car generates amazing torque and speed. The exhaust and engine are perfectly matched; it makes a deep throaty growl when I get on the accelerator. The handling is superb. The first time I dropped the transmission into second gear going around a corner and goosed it, I'm sure I looked like the Cheshire Cat in Alice in Wonderland; I had such a grin. This car is without a doubt more powerful, responsive and refined than the 5.0 GT I bought new in 1990. I am so happy with this car I want to sleep in it. Thank you Ford!

Power/acceleration, cornering and maneuverability (better than European cars), looks awesome with the top down.

More luxury options would help like ipod control through a touch screen, phone sync, rain activated wipers etc., but this is a raw power muscle car after all.

Don't Stop!
By Kim

2005 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Love at first sight! Loved it even more when I drove it. Fast, fun, and eye catching. But have had to replace the brakes 3 times and have had many braking issues. The emergency brakes sticks and you don't know it until you smell it, then it's too late. Back to shop for more brakes! The car has had a rattle since I purchased it. Drives me nuts, passenger seat belt has been replaced 2 times and still locks and latches my passenger in and will not release. I have to warn them not to put it on or put it on at their own risk. Ford see's nothing wrong with this. Brakes are not a issue either, their solution "don't use the emergency brake".

Looks and performance

Get rid of the plastic and fix the brakes.

Buyers Beware
By Pamela

2005 Ford Mustang Premium 2dr Coupe (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Growing up with many Fords, even going back to the Model - Ts, I have to say this is the worst car to purchase and has ruined my relationship with Ford and its products. The car was ordered to gain all features desired; the dealership had to order it twice to get it right! As of buying it Jan of 2005 I have had: two dead batteries, all sensors replaced twice for doors and trunk, when filling gas tank the pump clicks out and/or then the tank will over fill and spill about a gallon of gas, windows stuck in the down position when closing the doors, fuel emission issues, same tail light burning out, paint separation from body in spots, constant rattling noise, CONT BELOW

Color and style. That's about it.

Very hard gear shifting and becomes stuck at times (Automatic), hard to start, gas gauge stops working when the temperature dips below 75, interior is cheap and "leather" is peeling off seats, coating on stereo comes off when touched, do I need to go on?

Excellent Value for American Muscle
By Charles Starks

2005 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

This is the best car I've owned! No one single mechanical problem after 5+ plus years of ownership. I had the opportunity to run this monster on the German autobahn at speeds in excess of 140 mph with the top down. What an experience. Buy one, you will not be disappointed. Great job on this one Ford!

The simplicity in design with retro appeal.

None