Used 2004 Ford Mustang Consumer Reviews - 481 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Mustang

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

How do you spell fun to drive
By heather

2004 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I have owned classic hot rods from the 60's, this is as much fun to drive with the comforts of new options. This is my second Mustang GT convertible, love it!

6 CD changer, mach stereo, Mustang rims, power top, leather interior

A bit more head room for driver. Power seat makes you sit a bit high and feel a little crammed against the top of the car

40th year for Mustang
By J.D. Lugnutt

2004 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

Has very peppy accelleration, good braking if not great, handles like it's on rails, has fiberglass Deck-lid and hood and rear spoiler, 16" aluminum wheels. I did install a dual exhaust system with dual catalyst 2" pipes and my gas mileage went up by 3-MPG city and almost 7-mpg hwy. No joke it made a big difference, with the factory style headers it has always been dependable, never let us down.. and at 26-28 mpg hwy. I'm a happy camper, And I would for sure buy another one when this one is worn out. Great little sporty car!

Steering, handling, braking, and pick- up/acceleration. styling inside and out. and easy to service with rear wheel drive I do about 65% of my own service at home, Oil/Filter etc.

With the 5-spd. manual transmission I find that 1st. gear is very low, it winds up to 3000-RPM very quickly, this needs addressed, as well as 5th. gear a very tall over drive, either a 6-spd would be better or a higher ratio 1st. gear.

Ford does make quality vehicles
By emach1

2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Before getting the Mach1, I despised Fords and believed I would never buy one. The Mach1 was too good looking and fast to pass up. Its 40th anniversary emblems with its hood scoop and awesome rims turned heads. Its performance is great as well, but you pay for it in terms of gas mileage. Since owning the Mach1, I have not had anything go wrong. At worst, the interior dashboard and fixtures are cheap and quality but not something that cannot be replaced. Tires are costly but that is one of the costs anticipated when purchasing a high performance car. This is one vehicle

Performance and styling. Mach1 sound system. Screaming Yellow paint.

Better quality interior dashboard, sunroof or t-tops would be kool, a lower performance mode (turn off a couple cylinders on demand), continue production of Mach-1's.

Best Car
By brieblonde

2004 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

I have had my car for about a year now and I love it. I have not had a single problem with it. I even drove it through the winter and I manage well. Driving slow and having a good pair of snow tires really makes a difference. Overall the car is amazing and I love it.

The styling. The interior design is nice and the fact that it handles well is awesome.

What do you expect
By Big Mike

2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl S/C 6M)

I picked this car up used for a little over $20k. I've put 14,000 miles on it and loved every minute of it. This car puts a smile on my face every time I sit behind the wheel. It gets horrible gas mileage and that's O.K. After all, it is a 400 hp sports car. The accomodations are a little tight for a big guy like myself (6'4" and 280 lbs.) but that's ok too. It's worth being able to drive a car in this price range that will kick anything in it's path that is standard factory issue. After all, isn't that why we drive these cars? This is definitely the best alternative for those of us who can't afford $30-$35k for a Corvette or M3. You really can't go wrong with this car!

Everything. Power to spare, handling, and that unmistakable supercharger whine!

Maybe a little more horsepower. You do get used to it after a while and it becomes no big deal!