Used 2004 Ford Mustang Consumer Reviews - 481 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Mustang

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

premium gt vert
By WAYNE CLAY

2004 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I drive the Mustang very little because I want to keep it really nice. It is redfire with the light parchment interior and top. The quality of the interior is not up to par with the imports, but for the price, the performance is a bargain. The car reminds me of my 1969 Ford Torino GT, which is a good thing. The difference is that the Mustang actually handles well. I think the Mustang is a great car for anyone who appreciates American v-8 power. It feels like the days of old, but with refinement.

Number one feature, of course is the performance. Numbers two and three are the performance.

The new stangs are said to be greatly improved in every way. I'll take their word for it but I also think the 04 convertible looks better than the 05. If I could improve one area on mine, I would add a few horsepower and torque numbers. After all, too much is never enough.

Great performance car
By Henry

2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

All around, the best of all pre-2005 Mustangs. 320hp but it can be short-shifted at 2000 rpms and can start off in 2nd without lugging; can skip gears. Excellent throttle response at all engine speeds. Ride is good, not harsh. Get 25-26 on hwy. Traction control is helpful; it is easy to spin the tires, especially on wet roads. I have one as my daily driver; it is less common than the standard GT; 60 more HP, better steering, larger brakes from the Cobra, subframe connectors, better (Tokiko) shocks. Noise is a little high, but not bad on the highway. Get the 5 speed manual; it's the only way to go! Will probably hold value better than all but the Cobra models.

320HP; great V8 sound; manual transmission. Can short-shift at 2K rpm; no need to wind out the motor. This car still accelerates RAPIDLY in 3rd gear. Great passing power. Not as common as the GT. Good brakes, excellent mileage (25-26) for the power.

Smoother idle (common complaint); less-dark interior.

40th Anniversary Special
By alias

2004 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

Good on the road, parking, and looks. Would buy another one.

Best for two folks, not much back seat area.

Have a fuel system that can take either gas or ethanol.

I love it!
By raveness

2004 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

I have always been a huge Mustang junkie. I vowed to one day own one when my daughters were big enough to actually enjoy the ride. And finally the day came. I got one. And I couldn't say enough great things about it. I love this car. I love the body style. The factory stereo is awesome. I have done a few minor adjustments to the appearance (cosmetic things like adding decals and window scoops) and also modified the exhaust. And even though it’s a v6 it looks and sounds like a v8. I get compliments all the time on how incredible the car looks. It is absolutely beautiful!

Love the body style, stereo, and interior.

Like everyone else I would have to agree a slightly larger back seat would be great.

My BlueStang
By BlueStang

2004 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

I have had this vehicle for a little over a month and I must say that it is a keeper. SO fun to drive and the gas mileage isn't bad either. I am so heavy on the pedal that I can make a econocar get bad gas mileage. The Mustang likes to be pushed. And the 5 speed is fun!

The color! The stereo is great for a factory stereo. My 6 banger is peppy and fun to drive. The pony package is a must! It just makes the car look better. The cloth seats are very comfy.

Bigger back seat. Longer standard warranty.