Used 2003 Ford Mustang Consumer Reviews - 370 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Mustang

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Great Fun!
By banderss

2003 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

After driving a Corolla for several years of commuting it was time to get back to a fun car. I owned a '99 Mustang so I know this was what I wanted again. In the past 6 months I have relished in my renewed love affair with this car. You just can't get this kind of performance for the money anymore. Really get on it and you can get the tires spinning even going into 3rd gear...loads of fun!

Powerful and awesome sounding V8. Leather seats. Sound system. Looks.

Better seats (lateral support). Independent rear suspension. Slightly higher gears in rear end (3.55 for example likw the Mach 1).

2003 Cobra convertible
By Rick D.

2003 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl S/C 6M)

I've owned this black 2003 Cobra convertible for about 8 months. I haven't had any problems. Since moving to Florida, I was looking for a convertible. The car shakes a little (probably because it's a convertible). It has plenty of power, but feels HEAVY. The stock exhaust is too quiet.

Convertible, horsepower, torque, sound system.

Less shake better plastics and fit in the interior, sticky tires with a longer tread life, darn wheelhop.

Worth Every Penny
By Greg

2003 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Had it about 5 months and love it. I am really a Chevy man and thought about the Camaro, but wanted something with a back seat for small kids (8 & 11). Overall, I'm completely satisfied. My wife loves her minivan and didn't understand why I wanted a sports car, but now she's feelin' it. I'm in my 30s and didn't want another commuter vehicle; I wanted something different. The Mustang suits me very well. If you're looking for more refinement, try the '05.

V8, leather, Mach stereo, 5 speed, handling, exhaust, wheels.

Better seat belt retractors, 30 more horsepower, smoother tranny, lighter clutch, sunroof, XM radio.

Not made for comfort
By Robert Yamin

2003 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

Worst car I ever had. Bought car with 1200 miles, drove 1 year. Very uncomfortable and rough ride. Horrible gas mileage and poor pickup. Car is not made for a 5ft 11 inch 175 pound person. I had a 89 GT 5.0 so I thought I would like the newer model but should have kept the older one.

It looked good.

Better gas mileage, 12 MPG for a 3.8 is terrible. Make it a two seater and give the front passengers some room. Back seat only roomy enough for two 8 year olds anyway.

Disappointed so far
By Leadfoot

2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

This car has standard bad traits of "performance" cars that are normally forgivable - poor gas mileage, high insurance premiums, etc. Even the severely minimalist interior (ie., cheap and uninspired) was explained away as being for the "serious" performance enthusiast. Three years after purchase, I'm still waiting for my car to perform. It has no power in first gear - which is fairly important in city driving as you often don't get a chance to shift up before you're cut off. Gunning it to get high rpms looks kind of stupid in heavy traffic. This vehicle has also developed some suspicious rattles during its limited 4700 miles, including weird A/C noises. Maybe it's a lemon.

Suspension, handling & braking are fantastic - cornering in this car is a thrill. Nice stereo. Shaker hood. Exterior styling (although you have to be gentle with the black accents).

Remember that hp at 5600rpm isn't all that important if you never get to 5600 rpm. Spend a little time & money on a better interior. Better pipes! 4.9L should make some noise. And there was no excuse not to put a 6 speed in a car with a $29k MSRP - Example: Nissan 350Z.