Used 2002 Ford Mustang Consumer Reviews - 191 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Mustang

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Very reliable
By Dan

2002 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in 2002 and have not had any major problem since. The engine check light came on at 30000 miles, I took it to the dealer and they replaced a sensor at no cost since it was still under warranty. I now have 90000 miles on it. It runs fine with basic maintenance such as oil changes, air filter and I change my fuel filter every 20000 miles. The car doesn't handle well in wet weather. Otherwise it drives very smooth and very reliable with very little repair cost (still on original battery, alternator, clutch, AC). I would buy another Mustang.

Nice exterior and interior.

Use better material for seats.

I Enjoyed It
By formermustangowner

2002 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased the 6cyl Mustang in 06 at 73,000mi as my first car and drove it about 13,000mi. It broke down twice, both times due to the alternator. The second breakdown was because an old alternator had been used to replace the first one and based on what I've read reliability doesn't seem to be a common problem with this car. Other than that I really enjoyed the car; the V6 had adequate power, although I would recommend the V8. I found that careful driving could get about 20mpg out of the automatic V6; I'm sure a manual could be fairly economical. The car was fun to drive on short trips, and I never noticed any issues with comfort on longer drives. I would recommend this car to anyone.

Everybody always liked this car. It had a classic name that everyone was able to relate to and I liked the looks. It was great value for the money and didn't kill me on gas. When it did break down it didn't cost a fortune to fix and even the 6 cylinder was surprisingly fun to drive.

Plastic parts were my biggest problem. The exterior plastic was discolored and faded when I purchased the car, and interior plastic parts were falling apart when I sold it; not surprising for the age of the car though. Doors and interior parts also squeaked and rattled throughout the time I owned it.

1st Mustang
By 1st Mustang

2002 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

i love driving this car, it has plenty of get up and go and at only 19000 miles is bone stock very well taken care of by the previous owner, beautiful torch red paint, bullitt wheels, and spotless inside and out, what a great find.

looks great, 4.6 motor has plenty of power, auto trans shifts smoothly, growly stock exhaust, good tight feel

suspension a little lumpy,could use just a few more horsepower, but still enough for myself!

OUTSTANDING
By KevinDK

2002 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

The car just seems to fit me perfect. It reminds me of a cockpit actually. And man oh man does the car scream. I have loved Mustangs for years, and finally got one. Ford really does a good job with the stangs. A lot of people complain that it's pretty "normal" when it comes to features and luxuries.. Well it's a MUSCLE CAR, they aren't known for being like a Luxury car. They have less gadgets and more power. People who by Mustangs aren't concerned with such things, or gas mileage. For what it has, gas mileage is great however.

POWER! RWD, the ability to turn traction control OFF. (It comes off unless it's raining..) Leather interior.. 6cd changer (Better than MOST 3rd party ones) Just over all bad-assed. Chicks dig em.

Shorter throw shifter, maybe not have non-working hood scoop.. .Not much more I can really think of. The car is great.

Fun Fun Fun!
By Lauren

2002 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I bought my convertible GT in Febuary and fell in love. She had less than 25,000 miles on her when i bought it. Very reliable and very fun to drive. She really has some pick up and go! Not only is the convertible fun to drive, it's fun to play with as well! I have flowmaster mufflers, a cold air intake, and various other modifications. The cool thing about mustangs is that it's not just a car, it can be a hobby.

V8 power!, convertible, rear bumper, hood scoop, bullit style rims, beautiful sonic blue color