Used 2002 Ford Mustang Consumer Reviews - 191 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Mustang

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Beastly, Rock Solid, and Efficient
By blackmetalwolf

2002 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I've had experience driving all sorts of vehicles, and I can say without a doubt that my 2002 Ford Mustang GT is among the best of the best in almost all categories. For starters, it's a Mustang, an American icon. Now take that image, add 260 stock horsepower and you've got a beast of a car.
Not only is it powerful, it gets surprisingly great mileage; mine is getting roughly 26 mpg highway. The thing is also built like a tank; I haven't had any mechanical issues other than routine maintenance.

The only issues are low seating capacity and cargo room, but hey, you don't get a Mustang in place of an SUV, do you?

Great First Car
By stanggt915

2002 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

This is such a cool car! A perfect blend of everything. Great styling, very reliable, comfy, big sound system, cool wheels, high modding potential, and it is quite quick. With the new Borla exhaust I added it now has incredible muscle car sound! For my first car I would have it no other way.

Sound system, cool wheels, cool looking hood scoop.

No improvements it is awesome.

02 GT convertible Good & Bad.... For 2012
By flashycarluv

2002 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

ive had the car for almost 2 years and have had 3 engines in it., Driver window fail, fuel pump failed, CD player failed and the transmission has small leak. i love the car& dont really plan on ever selling. but its not recommended for a daily driver, its not very reliable but its 10+ years old.
But for a fun top down weekend warrior its great. and its idea for customization.
I know more than 10 people with the same style mustang GT, and they have problems too, but still love them. if you buy one I recommend having $2-3k set aside for future repairs. MPG isnt great either I average 15MPG combined...
But it works for me because
I only drive the car maybe once a month.

Sound of the V8, Convertible Top, Turning off the traction control and having some fun...

The car is 10years old so most of the issues have been addressed in newer models.... Which the front seats dont go back and recline far enough, more power, better MPGs...the very uncomfortable seats, and cheap materials... and only time will tell if they remain reliable as they get older.

Dream Car
By fordmustang_27

2002 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Simple put i'v wanted this car since i was ten years ole. A couple months before i was old enough to drive i finally bought her. I got a 2002 mustang gt 5 speed manuel. It's a beatiful shade of red that goes perfectly with the edgy body style it boosts. I bought her with 62,000 miles. In the 4 months I had her i already dropped 3 grand into her with tasteful modifications. i put slp headers, bassani cat back which sounds awesome. tint in the back and chrome salean 5 star lug wheels. Also a couple other chrome accesories and looks sick as hell. Car turns heads everywhere i go. I get so much attention for it and i love her.
sound system sounds good and performance is great. Great car.

Performance Style Sound System fun 5 speed transmission head turner

nothen

Fun Drive
By Robby

2002 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I previously owned a 02 6cyl mustang and bought an 02 8 cyl mustang with the 5-speed transmission about a year after selling my 6 cyl. I got it when it had around 100,000 miles and have performed only routine maintenance in 10,000 miles. I was told it had the clutch replaced right before I bought it. I would recommend getting the 8cyl if you have the opportunity as it has been much more fun to drive. The trim was better shape than I would have expected for 100,000 miles. No leaks or rattles however my steering wheel and gear shifter were badly worn. I'm not sure if this was from the previous owner or if this is common. Mach 460 Stereo has great sound. Driver's seat is also comfortable.

Great fun to drive and I liked the looks. It had aftermarket Flowmaster exhausts when I bought it, which I didn't originally like but would now highly recommend. The sound really adds to the experience of driving the car. Premium version was well optioned with leather and nice wheels.

The only issue I have with the car is the transmission. I changed the fluid but it is hard to shift into every gear except 5th and sometimes will momentarily not go into a gear. I wasn't really expecting perfect from a 100,000 mile car and this hasn't caused me any big problems.