Used 2002 Ford Mustang Consumer Reviews - 191 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Mustang

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

I loved my STANG!
By Seeson99

2002 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Mustang as my first large purchase and a good one at that. I also bought the extended warranty (which I recommend for any car). I changed the oil every 3,000 miles and had all the recommended work done. I had a couple of leaks here and there, but nothing that wasn't covered under the warranty. I bought it at 20,000 miles and drove it until someone hit and totaled it at 70,500 miles. I was 'T'ed on a city street very hard and the Mustang held up like one of those ancient tank cars. I'm very sad now, but I will always love my Mustang!

The whole car, the 6-disc in dash, over drive, Mach sound system, two-tone leather seats, and my wonderful must have...sun roof.

I would like to see a little more pick up when I touch the gas. But I hear the new ones have no issues with that.

I love this car!
By Timmy Powell

2002 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

This is the 2nd Mustang GT that I have owned the first being a 2000. I love everything about the car. It is fun to drive on the freeway and through the curves. The 02 is much improved over the 2000. The clutch and transmission seem to be in better harmony with the car and the driver. Given the chance, I would purchase the same car again.

The 260hp v-8 that gets 28-29 mpg on long trips. The 6 disc changer is a great feature that I use all the time. Leather seats are a must have.

Give it more sound. After all it is a V8. I put Flowmaster super 40's on and cut the rear converters off and now it has that 70's Mustang rumble that it should have.

Mustang GT Convertible - great car!
By Herb Trisler

2002 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I have owned my 2002 Mustang GT Convertible now for about 18 months. It consistently outperforms the hottest of import sports cars, even those advertising 30-40 more horsepower. Gas mileage is a pleasant surprise... 18-20 in town, 25-27 on the highway. The car is not really tightly built, but it holds up well even under hard use. The sum total of the pieces add up to a car that is quick, fast, exciting and fun to drive, and turns heads wherever it goes. I could not have done better with my money.

The convertible top is easy to use, the 4.6L V8 gives great performance, the looks of the car inside and out are admired by everybody.

The driver's seat is hard to get comfortable in...it needs more settings. The shifter is stiff and notchy, but works well once you get used to it.

Mustang review
By Brian Yates

2002 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I like driving my Mustang. It is a comfortable ride but the performance is not what I expected. I really expected more.

My favorite feature on the car is the 6 disc cd player because it is extremely convenient when you can just store your favorite cd's in it and listen to them.

I believe the car needs more horsepower. Need styling improvements that are fully functional, not the fake hood scoop.

Least expensive sports car you can buy
By Andrew Connelly

2002 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I just purchased my 2002 Mineral Gray Mustang GT two weeks ago. I was going to trade in my wife's car, give her my SUV (since she is stopping work), and buy a sports sedan for myself. I looked around and found that the sports sedans I liked, even used, were about $27k and up. I found this car with 17k miles for $15.8k. So I kept both cars and added this as a third. It already has the Magnaflow exhaust and cold air intake system. I highly recommend the Magnaflow exhaust for this particular year. It really sounds great. Not too loud, not as soft as the stock. I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old and they fit in the back no problem. Took 7 years of convincing my wife, but worth it.

Low cost, exhaust, exterior styling, color, wheels, torque, upgrades. Fun to drive.

The shifter is very notchy and even noisy at times. The clutch is a left leg workout in traffic. Steering is numb; could use a tighter feel. 18" wheels look better. Scoops look fake up close. Side airbags. It's not as quick as I expected. Some squeaks, but try WD40 squirts behind dash to remove.