Used 2001 Ford Mustang Consumer Reviews - 166 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Mustang Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Going back to Chevrolet after less than 6 months
By Forever chevy

2001 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

Bought used with just 80,000 miles after I sold my 97 Chevy with plenty more miles after 7 years of good service. - This is my first and last experience with Ford. After less than 6 months it's become abruptly clear that this 01 mustang can't hold a candle to my late 1997 Chevrolet Lumina. That's not saying much at all for ford. The up keep on this car is frequently demanding and costly . The performance on the road is OK for some one who's just flying down the free way ,but it handles horrible around town. I feel every bump in the road ,Every pebble and hear things sound like they are loosening underneath the car . .,bounce,thud,sqeeking.etc. Interior is cheaply made . All fixtures on the door panel look as if they have been rigged back on more than a few times . The console where it shifts to park ,reverse , etc. Doesn't line up correctly so there is an ugly gap that holds dust and all sorts of fun stuff. By the way the car shifts into reverse horribly and occasionally misfires so hard that the whole car shakes. - I will never understand all the "hype" that goes with these cars and I would not wish them on my worst enemy.

THis is my 3rd New Edge Mustang
By Carlogena

2001 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

One thing you have to understand is that most Mustangs are well taken care of and used only in good weather. So, there are many available in excellent condition. Look for stock or unmodified cars. These are the best bet for a good, solid, reliable vehicle. Parts availability for all Mustangs is plentiful and inexpensive. They are also easy to modify or customize to your particular taste. I like these cars. This is my 3rd one. Go ahead, buy one. They are lots of fun for short money.

My first car
By Daniel Holbrook

2001 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

I got it as a 16 year old and drove it like one too. Mine was a manual transmission and I had a lot of fun. 8 years later I’d put in a new clutch, alternator, plugs, wires, and a rear end off a gt model. It still ran great. My only complaint is the room. The interior could have made up so much more space and didn’t. I miss that car all the time.

I love my 2001 Bullitt Mustang
By Paul

2001 Ford Mustang Bullitt GT 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

The Bullitt mustang is a special car. I like the sleek understated looks. The factory Bullitt rims are awesome. The car handles good! Yeah I know its a mustang but it handles good, has a good ride quality and makes a good daily driver. The interior is cool and the factory shifter is great. Power is decent, I have no complaints. Brakes are also an upgrade from the stock 2001 Gt brakes. Could use a little louder exhaust. The car weighs about 3350 pounds which is light by todays 2016 standards and it feels light and nimble. The steering has better feel than my Boss 302. It has been a very reliable car for me. Get one while you can. Its going to be a collectible.

Best Car I've EVER Owned
By Mike P

2001 Ford Mustang GT Premium 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

First off let it be know I'm a Firebird guy through and through. I was looking for a Trans Am back in 2006, but didn't find one at a price I was happy with. Lo and behold I spotted my little gem of a GT for sale at a new car dealer. Hands down it is the best car I've ever owned as far as reliability. The only things I've replaced in almost 10 years of ownership has been, the infamous intake manifold, (Ford corrected this defect in 2002 I believe) fuel pump, alternator, brakes, serpentine belt, radio (The Ford CD-6 players are CRAP) along with routine maintenance. I've also replaced both headlamps due to delamination. Power windows still going strong, and I've never even had to replace a bulb or fuse in this thing! It's not as fast or sexy as a Trans AM, but it's way cheaper to maintain, and light years more reliable. Kind of the the girlfriend who would never cheat on you, and has dinner ready and waiting every night when you get home, while the Trans Am is out at the club.