Used 1999 Ford Mustang Consumer Reviews - 87 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Mustang

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Lots Of Bang For The Buck
By Mike D

1999 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Convertible

This is my 3rd Stang, having previously owned an 86GT Hatch and an 86LX Cnvt. Bought the 99 with 11,000 miles in 2001. Currently has 145,000. This is a great car. Have had almost no mechanical problems. Great style and performance. Great exhaust sounds. Mach 460 radio/CD is great too. Convertible top works well. Tends to eat brakes. Headlight covers do fog over. Don't hit a bump in the middle of a turn or you'll find yourself in the next lane.

Performance, style, exhaust sound, audio system, convertible top.

Front seats are awful! Extremely uncomfortable. Seats in 2000 and newer are much improved. Cupholders are not good. Door panels are cheap.

1999 Mustang GT
By Phillip

1999 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Coupe

I purchased my 1999 Mustang GT in August 2009 from a private seller.It has 72,400 miles on it. The beautiful red with gray leather interior gets a lot of compliments and the car has always been garaged and looks new!It has a manual 5 speed transmission. I love the exhaust sound but do wish that it had more power in the low/mid range power band. I have owned a Mustang SVO and a 1967 Mustang Fastback over the years. The cup holder location in the 1999 GT is a disaster but the stereo sounds very good and the car handles ok even though the tie rods wear pre-maturely and begin to squeak when turning. Ford should have went to a adjustable clutch cable instead of the automatic adjustment system.

Looks Stereo Availablity of parts Easy to repair yourself Reliability Exhaust tone Used prices very reasonable for what you get

Different cup holder More power from factory Tie rods with lube fittings Adjustable clutch cable from the factory Better cup holders

Love my pony!
By ponygirl

1999 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

I bought this used in 2000 with 18,000 miles on it and it now has 112,000 miles. Just a few minor problems. At random times, it didn't want to start and after several attempts at trying to figure out what the problem was, it turns out it was in the security system. About a $300.00 fix..The only other issue is the headlights which develop a white film..I am a multi mustang owner and love this '99. My daughter now drives it and also loves it. Very fun car and comfortable for smaller individuals. All cars should be this dependable.

The body style is an eye turner and I love the manual transmission.

The headlight covers develop a white film which I find is almost impossible to remove. This could definitely be improved.

Love or hate
By Love or hate

1999 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

I love the car's style and performance. However my driver side exhaust manifold had litteraly broken twice now. That is quite enoying at a cost of around $450 each time. It only has 85000 miles and the clearcoat is falling off of the car. I washed and waxed the car religiously. The interior is still like brand new.

Rear wheel drive, stereo, looks, CD and cassete player (for my Ipod)

Paint quality, exhaust qulity, CD player does not always work. Cassette player is done.

Pretty good car
By steve

1999 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Convertible

I bought my Mustang GT back in May of 01 and had the car till Feb of 08. This car was very well taken care of and I drove the car pretty crazy. The only reason I kept it running so well is because my uncle is a mechanic so most of the problem were fixed by him. I pumped regular gas in it but always used 10-30 oil. When it got to 75,000 miles I started using 10-30 high mileage mobil oil fully synthetic. That was the best oil I used. My car never leaked any oil because I always replaced any gaskets or seals that needed replacing. Changed all the normal wear & tear stuff. Always kept the car original except for the flowmasters. When I ran a smog check it had better results than a brand new Mustang

Handles great, convertible top

A little more power, better intake mainfold. That one that came with it had to get replaced. Better coil sensors, little bit more room in the inside