Used 1998 Ford Mustang Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Mustang

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

1998 Mustang V6
By silliwi

1998 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

I have a 1998 Mustang w/ the 3.8 V6. I got it in September 2006 so it's been 3 years now. It's a pretty good car. I got it from a family member with only 46,000 miles on it in 2006. Now it has 88,000. I've had to replace the tires, and the brakes, windshield, along with the rear differential fluid twice. Other than those things the car has been virtually maintenance free. It's by no means a comfortable car. You feel every bump in the road. The seats are uncomfortable for long drives and it doesn't handle that great. I average about 22 miles per gallon mixed use. I'm not really a sports car kinda person... I think I'll go with something with four doors and better fuel economy...

Pickup, exterior looks

Better cup holders, better quality interior parts, more supportive seats

Base made me get a GT
By Ebone

1998 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

I bought a 98 Mustang v6 in Feb 09. I knew NOTHING about the specifics of Mustangs, I just wanted one. First night out, I went at it with a Aurora. He ate me alive. I thought I had a fast car!?! Then, it was brought to my attention, that I should've gotten a 5.0. I knew that, but I didn't think it made a difference. I have upgraded (its a 97) to a GT and its a world of difference. Handling, Sound, Speed, and Confidence is on another level. I LOVE my GT. I LOVE it. I bought it with 82k on the dash and in ONE month I have put on 3k. This is the car to have, especially in a big city like Chicago.

The power. The car has not disappointed me at all. Its whats happening.

I don't know yet, but I don't see the need to do anything to mines except throw a light tint on the windows.

My Dream!
By 98GT

1998 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Coupe

im currently 16 years old. i have wanted a mustang since i was 8 years old. i never even considered anything else. and im glad i didnt.. i originally was looking at a 2006 black mustang V6 with an automatic transmission and leather seats but i ended up buying almost the exact opposite. i have a white 1998 mustang with a V8, a manual tranny, and cloth seats and i still love it. this car is everything a teenage boy probably shouldnt have. but i honestly believe that u can get yourself just as dead in a V6 as u can in a V8. this car is what i always dreamt of. i love the smooth shifts, the mach audio, and how i can spin tires by barely giving it any gas at all. this car has the power!

all power. the pony power under the hood.. i put new flowmasters and coldair intake on it. i love that V8 sound. its amazing. my cousin has a 1965 fastback and we have compared them and even though the classic wins everytime, mine still comes close.

headlights stink. im puttin new ones on soon, i hope they help. and the cupholders arent functional at all..especially with a 5 speed.

Love my 'Stang
By Montstang98

1998 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Coupe

I have owned a few Mustangs over the years, but the 96-98's are my favorite. This is my first GT and I love the 4.6 liter powerhouse. It has a nice rumbling exhaust and is very quick! This Mustang GT gets 24 in town and close to 30 mpg on the hwy... not sure why edmunds only says 15 cty and 24hwy... any way the car handles great accelerates quickly and is just fun, fun, fun!!!

4.6L V-8 with the 5spd manual transmission make this car not only fun to drive but has an incredible sound when driving and shifting gears...

With the 5spd manual transmission the Cup holders aren't good for much more than a 12 oz. can of soda...Needed to think more about their thirstier consumers

Awesome Vehicle
By Kynan R

1998 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

I can pretty say this is the best vehicle I have owned thus far. I've killed potholes, ran into snowbanks, and this car just won't bend, except for a little exterior damage. Cruise control just went out last week, but for 200k miles, it's about time something did. So far, that is the only thing other than routine stuff that I've had to replace. Stock sound is awesome, road noise is quiet until about 60, suspension is not quite as stiff as many say, and the backseat is just perfect for the poodle. Overall, fantastic racing vehicle, not so great for family time or winter four-wheeling.

Awesome stock sound system, great build, and fantastic engine for a V6.

Since it's a race car, maybe lighten the load a bit? Never heard of a 1-ton race car. And what's with the trunk? I can fit one tire in there. Last spark plug on the driver's side is hard to access because of the dipstick, so maybe relocation of the dipstick?