Used 1998 Ford Mustang Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Mustang

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Hmmmmm.....
By johnp1984

1998 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Coupe

I bought my GT with 95k, it currently has 160k and the engine is running strong. Not been as reliable as many here claim.

I only see the recall intake manifold mentioned once! That was a pain in the butt to replace. It hasn't been all that bad, just little annoying stuff going wrong here and there, for example.....x4 O2 sensors, all 4 calipers and rotors replaced, new intake manifold(coolant leak), door hinge, cruise control went out, lower control arms, ball joints, and recently the steering column.

Like i said not all that bad, but people on here are praising it as being soooo reliable, it is a 3 at best as far as build quality reliablitly people!

Ok now the good, solid power from the v8, reliable engine. looks good. gas mileage OK for a v8. i get 18/26 with an auto trans. and driving conservatively.

better build quality, not sure which cheap POS part will need replacing next. better handling would be nice. limited slip diff etc....

The dream I never knew existed!
By LUCKY LORI

1998 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Coupe

I drove by an dealership & saw this black mustang that caught my eye. I asked to see it, the guys started it and i fell in love! The rumble beats a Harley & I can drive a car! lol This was my 15 yr daughter's dream car and I had no idea until I heard that rumble there is no sweeter sound. She is fast and furious and is a great car. I had male friends want to race etc at my age lol so i got chrome that says "size matters" and put it under the GT 4.6LT on the side it looks like it was made that way and in the back window reads in vinyl "STEP ASIDE BOYS" This has been fun! Like no other car I have had! worried about the snow, heard they are bad in snow! This is a must have car! It's awesome!

THE RUMBLE and the leather seats

Cup holder and wider factory tires

Sweet Ride
By cyanide

1998 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Coupe

Bright red, lowered, custom exhaust, headlights, rims, was the best car I ever bought. I even had 4 trophies won from 4 differnt car shows I took her to. Then March of this year 2010, some moron pulled out in front of me. The radiator met the motor and my custom cold air intake splintered under the hood. I wasnt injured! They are built as tough as the look. I miss her everyday, buy one! You will never look back! :)

Styling

car needed to come with 3 in exhaust, standard! but it didn't. other than that no improvements needed

My first v6 mustang oh geez!
By NARL3YCHARLIE

1998 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

I bought my mustang a year ago as my first car. I gave it a cold air intake as well as the Flowmasters exhaust to give a fine tuned sound. And it sounds great. But this 150 hp car one day fell apart on me. The odometer stopped, it began leaking. Well Everything, it began overheating and timing was off and on top of that later a super duty 4x4 dodge managed to drive up the back of my car at a stop light. Being I fixed only the damages and heating problem this car chugs along showing no weaknesses in this southern Arizona desert heat. If I were to describe this model I would tell you this is a real trooper.

-body style -mpg -handling

a Dodge Ram protection force field, Reliability

old man's dream machine
By dieter

1998 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Convertible

I'm 63 yrs young and I've had a lot of different cars in my life. My last car got totaled so I went looking for a muscle car. I'm tired of 4s and 6s. I loked around for about 2 months. I found my perfect car, a 1998 mustang gt convertible. I've had it for about 9 months, and had a blast in it. It had 120,000 miles on it, and I haven't had a bit of trouble with it. All my old friends ask me about gas mileage, I tell them I could care less. I give them a ride in it with the top down and they want to buy one. Of course they have to glue their tupee's on a little better. I have trouble judging distances on parking so this is a great fit for me. I will have no other car than a mustang!!

Leather seats, handling, peppy v8

Should market more toward senior citizens