Used 1997 Ford Mustang Consumer Reviews - 39 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Mustang

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Reliable attractive commuter car
By Zowie

1997 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

Own V6 5spd for 6+ years and drive it daily. I am over 40 and have driven a wide variety of company vehicles. I've only owned GMs and Fords, with models years dating from 1970 to 2003. This has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. The only thing that broke (excluding normal maintenance stuff) during the first 120k was the power seat switch. After 120K, I started having lots of problems with the rear. But engine, electronics, AC, interior are still good. In snow: HORRIBLE wheel spin. Gets stuck very easily and can't climb inclines most cars handle with ease. But steering and braking control is ok for this type of car.

I love the shape and proportions. Old school Fords like Mustang, Crown Vic and Econoline have good reliability and affordable repair costs. V6 is a good value used - if it wasn't a rental or abused by a teen. Lots of aftermarket doodads available.

Shifter too far forward for max comfort. Gearing could be a little lower. The one flimsy cup holder is in the way of the gear shift and hand brake. Poor quality leather on seats, but fabric ones are decent quality.

Fun Car
By Vince

1997 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

I bought this car at the beginning of 2008 and I had no problems in the snow. During the following year I drove it as my daily driver in blizzards and snow storms and I didn't get in any accidents. To those afraid of rear wheel drive, just be careful and keep the drifting to impress your friends and your sweetheart at a reasonable speed in the snow and you'll be fine. I drove a year and a half with very little maintenance. I had to replace the power window regulator, but other than that I don't recall any work I had to do other than maintenance until I reached about 140,000 and I found oil in the coolant reservoir(head gasket) so I upgraded to the more dependable, and older 5.0 V8

looks nice, fun to drive(and drift), easy to repair, pretty dependable

It seems like a lot of V6 mustangs from the 94 and on era had a problem with head gaskets at around 140,000 miles. Also tall people wont like the seating and leg room(short people have no problems), not fast at all compared to a pontiac grand prix, and the single inconvenient cup holder.

Great Car Seriously
By chenz380

1997 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

I got brainwashed by people saying Toyota is reliable vehicles and American cars are junk. I found that to be not true so I went with my dream of getting ether a mustang or a camaro/firebird. This car cost me $2800 and it has 143K miles and runs great compared to my Toyota Celica with 70K miles having gone through 3 engines. Warms up great, runs great even in -20F weather, and contrary to people who can't drive rwd in the snow, it handles fine in the snow unless you like drifting which I LOVE to do! The people who had bad luck just found a lemon and didn't know any better. Like any car, a poorly maintained car won't last long. Get your used cars checked before getting tricked by salesmen.

Reliability, look(sorta) simple/easy to modify interior, cool black interior, easy to work on engine bay, stock all wheel disk brakes (not standard on camaro/firebird base models), fun do drive

stiffer handling would be nice, better seating design for people who are taller than 6'(literally a pain in the neck), short shifter(which was fixed on newer models), more hp PLEASE, and a supercharger option for the V6 (I do believe is a soon to be option as of 2009)

Great Car
By ffeeffee

1997 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Coupe

If you keep up with the maintenance this car is great. Perfect for the performance-minded looking for a new toy. Overall good car.

Stock power is nice. Potential power is very nice

Improvements you can make yourself, if you own this car, are some PI parts for your NPI4.6, and a nice cobra bumper/wheels. You'll be in heaven.

Ride it my pony!
By GIR

1997 Ford Mustang GT 2dr Coupe

I love this car! Handles great, pretty good acceleration and beautiful exterior! Big trunk small opening though. Front seats very comfortable, rear seats lack leg room. I love to fire it up and listen to it growl, sounds awesome when you step on it and it screams. Lots of after market parts make this a fun father son project! Go American muscle!

Quick, light weight, good handling awesome track car!