Used 2006 Ford Fusion Consumer Reviews - 299 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Fusion

View reviews for a specific Fusion model:

This is the best car I've ever owned
By Keith

2006 Ford Fusion SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car at 34,000 in 2009. At the time I was a service technician and had to use my own car. Before the end of the 2 year mark I had put over 100,000 miles on this thing. I live in Ohio and drove this car to the Carolinas and Virginia beach annually, including a 24 hour straight drive to Texas and 24 hours straight back 3 days later and never felt worried about making it home. My point is, I beat up my vehicles and this has been a beast. AC failed around the 140,000 mark (didn't bother fixing it), I replaced the thermostat and drive belt at 150,000, at 210,000 the radiator and transmission cooler lines were replaced, driver side window regulator at 215,000 and now at 217,000 the transmission valve body needs to be replaced so I'm reluctantly trading it in before I press my luck any further. I can't talk much about labor cost because I do most of my own work, but replacement part costs aren't terrible (except the valve body). And even with the age of the car its still averaging 27mpg! My biggest cons are the cheap plastic door handles and the radio display has bad soldering causing it to blank out. Basically very minor things. Ford bought my favor back from GM with this car.

icm
By GiGi

2006 Ford Fusion S 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Had months of idle rpms going crazy while engine hot or cold. Awful lot of talk about the problem over the internet.

Been the perfect car
By textfree101

2006 Ford Fusion SEL 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We bought ours brand new in 2006, it was a demo vehicle so it already had 3,000 miles on it, it is now 2015 and our car only has 80,000 miles on it, just had its first tune up, THESE FUSIONS NEED A TUNE UP BEFORE 100,000 MILES OTHERWISE SERIOUS PROBLEMS MAY OCCUR, we had friends who learned that the hard way. this car is only the 4-cylinder model but it doesn't seem as slow as everyone makes it out to be, and its been unbelievably reliable, only needed regular maintenance and a sense that had to be replaced at about 50,000 miles. Perfect midsized car.

Insane Shift Controller
By mpence

2006 Ford Fusion SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought the car used in 2009 with about 32K miles. It's been great mostly. But the transmission behavior leaves a lot to be desired. Normally, it shifts smoothly, but there are 3 quirks that drive me mad.

Downshifting, it will slam violently into 1st gear at about 45 mph.

Part-throttle acceleration - enough to cause a more than 1 gear downshift - the trans again slams in and out of 1st gear, causing a violent bucking. Not much fun trying to merge onto a freeway!

A few times when the previous occurred, the trans just goes out of gear. Have to let it coast, shift either to Neutral or First gear, then it resumes normal driving.

The electronic shift controller must be insane!

Eh.. it was okay.
By dscarchick

2006 Ford Fusion SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

We got this car used after our bankruptcy discharged. We aren't big fans of Ford but I must say it proved to be a very reliable car. We only owned it for 2 years but we never had any big issues. Cosmetically, little things fell apart like the paint on the shifter peeled off. Also the cd player ate cd's which I hear was a problem in a lot of Fords not just Fusion's. One of the interior back door locks stopped working one day as well and the dealer said it would be over $200 to fix so we just lived with it. For a mid sized car it delivered and did what it was supposed to do. It's not a sports car but if you want a point a to b and occasionally c, it's a decent buy.

There's an extra storage cubby in the middle of the top dash which I found to be really interesting but quite handy. The car is on the smaller side but there was a huge amount of room in the trunk which was nice. We had the top of the line SEL V6 with leather, heated seats and sunroof but it still got good gas mileage.

Interior cosmetics that don't fall apart. Airbag sensor malfunctioned a few times as well. The most irritating thing was the gas neck (fuel neck), when you were filling the car up the pump kept clicking like it was full. Also the sunroof had a lot of wind noise.