2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Consumer Review: A Big Disappointment

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid - Consumer Review

Titanium Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic)

A Big Disappointment
By jay26tm on

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After owning this lemon for three years, I've finally been able to trade it in. It had experienced over 200 separate issues and spent 30 total days in the shop - including for a leaking sunroof, a faulty battery, and a complete control module replacement. Overall fuel economy was only 37 mpg, which is what I'm now getting out of my new non-hybrid Honda mid-size sedan. One of the biggest reasons to turn it in was the overall lack of power - I couldn't accelerate from a stop light without redlining the engine, and merging into traffic at highways speeds was a struggle. And if the 12-volt battery dies, nothing works. You'll have to fold down the rear seats and climb through the trunk pass-through to pull the trunk emergency release handle to access the battery compartment in the trunk. Make sure you can actually fit through there before buying! (Still not sure why the battery died in the first place after only two years - everything in the car has an auto-off feature to prevent draining the battery).

But the biggest reason to get rid of this is the possibility of another major electrical fault while driving - the last time it happened, everything electrical went out while cruising down the road at 50 mph, including dashboard indicators - the only thing on the dash that still worked was the speedometer & tach. The navigation and entertainment systems stopped working. The climate control system quit working & I couldn't roll down the windows (this happened in June). All safety features were also inoperable (adaptive cruise, blind spot, rear camera, and collision warning), and I had no idea if the airbags would deploy if I got into an accident. The intelligent access system quit working, and the only way to start the car was to have the key in the console backup slot. The dealer had to replace a number of control modules and the entire console computer system due to poor workmanship from the factory that allowed water to saturate electronic components. I wonder how many other systems got soaked but weren't replaced. Water damage does strange things to computers, especially over time when corrosion starts to set in. I don't want to be saddled with those repair costs now that the warranty has expired.

Overall, a very bad investment for me. I guess out of every 10,000 cars, one is faulty, and I got it this time. But the lack of power and poor fuel economy are universal problems for this car, so select a different engine. Even if it had gotten the advertised 47 mpg (later revised to 42 by Ford), the cost savings in fuel does not equal the cost savings of selecting a standard engine instead of a hybrid. And the car *still* has three outstanding safety recalls (including the Takata airbag issue) that the dealer can't seem to find parts to fix... Out of the twelve cars I've owned throughout my life, this one has been the WORST, and I will never again consider purchasing a Ford vehicle.

• Front seats

• Purchase cost
  • Fuel economy
  • Resale value
  • Warranty

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By jay26tm
on 03/14/15 09:56 AM (PDT)

Update: After 2 years, this car continues to be a major disappointment. It has now spent a total of 28 days in the shop for issues such as a leaking sunroof, climate control module replacement, Power Control Module (PCM) replacement, and other issues - to date, I've experienced 144 separate issues - including 46 power window problems, 31 Synch/entertainment system faults, & 38 miscellaneous electrical problems to name a few. It's clear that I got the lemon of the bunch - I've had more problems with this car than the other 9 vehicles I've owned combined - and one of those others is 35 years old! My fuel economy has improved to 37.8 mpg, but the "revised" estimates from Ford indicate I should be getting 42 mpg. The extra $3500 you pay for the "hybrid" badge is simply wasted, and I would have been better off if I had gotten the conventional power plant instead. And while many others seem to be perfectly happy with their Fusion, I will be trading it in as soon as the 3-year warranty expires & selecting a more reliable non-Ford vehicle.

By uscgjen
on 01/16/15 08:58 AM (PST)

I initially was getting close to 38 mpg (better than my CRV) but not the 47 and then adjusted 41 mpg for my 2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium. At the same time I also was having electrical issues - car was fluctuating between gas and electric and spent 28 days over a 4 month period in the shop. Harness rewiring, new tire (got a flat in the one) and obviously something with the brakes because they cause whiplash. The mileage since getting the car back has been worse at 31 mpg. Ford finally acknowledged the car was a lemon (back in November) and hoping to pick up the new car tomorrow (January 17th!).

By dougbratman
on 04/27/14 07:47 AM (PDT)

I feel you, my friend. My 2013 Fusion Hybrid gets about 38 mpg on average; about 9 mpg less than the stated 47. It's not a lot different than my wife's non-hybrid 2013 Accord. And the price is not a lot of power. I brought it in for the "software update" but it did nothing to help. This is a $33,000 car! The car is attractive and comfortable, to be sure. The Sync system is not optimal. When I turn on the car the phone syncs, but I cannot use it for a full 5 minutes or it makes the call and the other person can't hear me. The Accord works right away. There are also times when, in order to disconnect from the call, I literally had to pull over and shut the car off. Talk about a hard reboot!