2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Consumer Review: Ford worked the kinks out of t

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid - Consumer Review

SE Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic)

Ford worked the kinks out of the Fusion Hybrid
By larrysfl on

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've owned 3 Fusion Hybrids, starting with the first one they released in 2009 (2010 model). They've had a LOT of problems and issues with the Fusion Hybrid along the way. My 2nd Fusion (2013 model) was in the shop 16 times for warranty work. Fuel economy was always much worse than claimed and build quality was abysmal.

However, I kept coming back to this model and finally Ford seems to have identified and fixed all of the problems with this vehicle. I currently own a 2016 model and it has been great. Compared to the first two Fusion Hybrids I've owned, this car gets better mileage (avg. over 40 mpg in all driving combined), is significantly more quiet, has no rattles, squeaks or wind noise, Navigation system works great and the voice recognition system is the best of any car I tried so far. Same for the backup camera - the quality is superior to any other vehicle I've tried (many), even at night.

For the price, the Ford Fusion Hybrid is one of the best buys for this kind of vehicle, now that Ford seems to have worked out all of the bugs. Can't comment on the plug-in (Energi) version though.

• Steering
  • Transmission
  • Fuel economy
  • Maintenance cost

• Headlights

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By b25nut
on 08/22/13 15:14 PM (PDT)

Many dealers have not done the PCM recalebration correctly. You need to have your dealer re-do yours. I was averaging 37.2 mpg. With the update, I now get 43.8 mpg with 80% of my driving above 65 mph.

By rp_gambit
on 08/29/13 09:27 AM (PDT)

I have the exact same issue with my 2013 Lincoln MKZ. I brought it in and they did the upgrade and now I can't get over 36 MPG. I was getting between 39 and 40 prior. It doesn't seem like I can even keep it in electric anymore unless the electric guage is passed 1/2 full.

By kkuhns
on 02/20/14 09:51 AM (PST)

I have a 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid, and I generally love it. I never expected to get 47MPG - I think everyone knew that wasn't realistic. From April 2013 until October 2013, I was averaging around 39.x MPG overall (according to the car's computer). I commute 110 miles round trip, three days a week, or around 25K miles per year, mostly on the highway at 75 MPH. So I wasn't too unhappy with 39 overall. On some trips home from work (55 miles), I was getting 42 MPG when I drove conservatively. Then in October, I accepted the Ford "fix" that changed the algorithm for when EV mode could kick in. Previously, EV mode went up to 62 MPH. After the fix, EV mode could go up to something like 80 MPH. In theory, that would give highway drivers better gas mileage, if the engine could switch to EV at higher speeds. And it was indeed the case that I saw the engine occasionally switch to EV mode at the higher speeds, so that part worked. However, after I accepted the fix, my overall gas mileage started to decrease. I have a very consistent driving route and conditions. Each time when I stopped the car, I looked at the mileage for that trip, and the numbers were lower than before the fix was applied. This continued for the next 5 or 6 weeks. I mentioned it to the Ford dealer shop and they said to keep an eye on it. Well, after the weather started getting really cold in November and beyond, the mileage decreased even further, but that always happens with hybrids (and most cars) in the winter - the battery isn't as efficient in cold weather, you run the defrost and heat more, you let the car warm up, etc. So I couldn't really prove after that what was due to the Ford algorithm "fix" and what was due to the cold weather conditions. This has been a particularly cold, harsh winter, and now my overall gas mileage is down to 36.9 MPG (according to the car's computer). I haven't tried the manual gas mileage calculations, partly because I think there are so many variables in that process. The Car and Driver article linked elsewhere refers to them: how full do you fill your tank each time? how do you know how full it is when different gas pumps are calibrated to cut off with different amounts of back pressure? what about different manufacturers of fuel? differences between summer and winter fuel? heat and cold? The article suggested a particular approach to try to minimize some of the variables, but I'm not usually able to be that consistent, so I end up relying on the car's computer numbers. I am biding my time until warmer weather an more optimal driving conditions return. Then I plan to consistently measure my MPG again and see if it goes back up closer to what it was before the fix. I do plan to go back to the dealer and keep this issue in front of them. They seemed sympathetic, but they are limited in what they can do. I would like to hear from any other 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid owners who have accepted the EV mode "fix" and to hear the experience of others gas mileage after that.