Used 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 55 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Fusion Hybrid model:

Nice looking, but don't expect great mileage.
By dougbratman

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My 2013 Fusion Hybrid gets about 37 or 38 mpg on average; about 9 mpg less than the stated 47. It's not a lot different than my wife's non-hybrid 2013 Accord. And the price for this mileage is not much power. I brought it in for the "software update" but it did nothing to help. This is a $33,000 car! The car is attractive and comfortable, to be sure. The Sync system is not optimal. When I turn on the car the phone syncs, but I cannot use it for a full 5 minutes or it makes the call and the other person can't hear me. The Accord works right away. There are also times when, in order to disconnect from the call, I literally had to pull over and shut the car off. Talk about a hard reboot!

Attractive car. Comfortable seats and smooth ride. Better mileage than the average mid-size though, as stated, nowhere near what's promised. Love the backup camera with full color display (The Accord also has a camera on the passenger side to see blind spot). Blind spot monitoring. Beeping when close to rear or side object. Handles well in snow with snow tires. Smart, efficient interior design. Cap-free gas tank access. Heated seats with 3 intensities.

Some design/manufacturing flaws. The mileage is nowhere near as promised and Ford knows this. They had a softwear update that is ineffective. The Bluetooth phone doesn't sync for several minutes at best and is quirky. I've had to pull over and turn off the car to end a call. You can't adjust temperature from steering wheel, as you could with my Explorer. When you wash the car the portion under the trunk lid remains dirty (design flaw). You can get more power with a heavier foot on the gas, but the mileage will suffer greatly. Worse mileage in cooler temps when the engine must stay on longer. Ford should reimburse us for the hundreds of dollars in gas we are buying vs what they promised.

A Big Disappointment
By jay26tm

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After owning this lemon for three years, I've finally been able to trade it in. It had experienced over 200 separate issues and spent 30 total days in the shop - including for a leaking sunroof, a faulty battery, and a complete control module replacement. Overall fuel economy was only 37 mpg, which is what I'm now getting out of my new non-hybrid Honda mid-size sedan. One of the biggest reasons to turn it in was the overall lack of power - I couldn't accelerate from a stop light without redlining the engine, and merging into traffic at highways speeds was a struggle. And if the 12-volt battery dies, nothing works. You'll have to fold down the rear seats and climb through the trunk pass-through to pull the trunk emergency release handle to access the battery compartment in the trunk. Make sure you can actually fit through there before buying! (Still not sure why the battery died in the first place after only two years - everything in the car has an auto-off feature to prevent draining the battery).

But the biggest reason to get rid of this is the possibility of another major electrical fault while driving - the last time it happened, everything electrical went out while cruising down the road at 50 mph, including dashboard indicators - the only thing on the dash that still worked was the speedometer & tach. The navigation and entertainment systems stopped working. The climate control system quit working & I couldn't roll down the windows (this happened in June). All safety features were also inoperable (adaptive cruise, blind spot, rear camera, and collision warning), and I had no idea if the airbags would deploy if I got into an accident. The intelligent access system quit working, and the only way to start the car was to have the key in the console backup slot. The dealer had to replace a number of control modules and the entire console computer system due to poor workmanship from the factory that allowed water to saturate electronic components. I wonder how many other systems got soaked but weren't replaced. Water damage does strange things to computers, especially over time when corrosion starts to set in. I don't want to be saddled with those repair costs now that the warranty has expired.

Overall, a very bad investment for me. I guess out of every 10,000 cars, one is faulty, and I got it this time. But the lack of power and poor fuel economy are universal problems for this car, so select a different engine. Even if it had gotten the advertised 47 mpg (later revised to 42 by Ford), the cost savings in fuel does not equal the cost savings of selecting a standard engine instead of a hybrid. And the car *still* has three outstanding safety recalls (including the Takata airbag issue) that the dealer can't seem to find parts to fix... Out of the twelve cars I've owned throughout my life, this one has been the WORST, and I will never again consider purchasing a Ford vehicle.

Ford Fusion Hybrid 2013
By ksaclo

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Owned for 7 months and reading reviews to see if there were serious issues I may run into. The majority of the reviews are right on target with my findings and the only bad reviews are from people who do not drive the car properly or are having a specific one off issue, then blowing it out of proportion (e.g. tires rupture easily. Huh?). Currently getting 44.4 MPG once I learned not to punch the gas pedal and keep the gas lightly applied esp. on the HWY (60-70). Teenage daughter driving goes down about 10 MPG (2+2=?). Love this car and is the best commuter car ever purchased. That coming from a very experienced southern California driver and a friend who owns the Titanium agrees 100%.

Technical amenities are nice. I am in the technology industry so I know what I am referring to. I had a person in my car who owns a nice 2 year old BMW who commented "Wow, I wish I had some of those features on a touch screen in my car.". Rearview camera is also nice and the overall stylings compared to the majority of hybrids (which are either ugly or the same body as their best selling car, with the hybrid slapped on to it).

Noticed a few glitches in the Sync/bluetooth features, but nothing that prevents me from using it (e.g. can't go back scrolling thru phonebook while driving, but can scroll ahead.).

My First Hybrid - 2013 Fusion SE
By ga_ashby

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this car primarily because of it's gas mileage and style.
Over the past three weeks I have been averaging 53 MPG in my daily 42 mile commute in Atlanta traffic.
I have had to learn how to drive this car to maximize it's mileage.
No I don't do 75 MPH in the left lane, but I do usually cruise between 60 and 70 MPH depending on traffic conditions. The car is comfortable, runs very quite and smooth. I really like the gauge layout on the dash and the Sync works reasonably well -
my issue was that the IOS 7.0.4 update
broke the Bluetooth interface which is causing me to have to reboot my iPhone at least once a day so it will sync correctly.

By far, the gas mileage has been my favorite feature. My previous truck got about 16 MPG so I was spending around $4,500 dollars a year in gas cost! If I can keep this car at 53 MPG I will save around $3,700 a year - nice return on an investment. When working, the iPhone interface with Sync works really well. The navigation is also very nice. The leather seats are comfortable; environmental controls are laid out very nicely and easy to use.

Since I am tall person - 6'2'' I have to drive with the seat back. Even at full extension the steering wheel does not come toward me far enough. Daytime running lights would be a nice feature as well. I know that the SE package does not include a start button, but in a hybrid that should be standard. I did have a few cosmetic issues with the car that the dealer had to fix - such as the molding on one of the windows did not fix correctly nor line up right. The dealer was able to fix at no cost to me. I really like Ford products, but I feel it is this kind of issues that make people buy Honda.

Finally had to do a review
By bruceski2

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had my 2013 fusion hybrid SE for 8 months and just passed 40,000 miles without a single problem.
I have never gotten below 40 mpg and routinely get 44-46 in the summer and 41-44 in the winter.
It really doesn't matter how I drive the car, the mileage rarely strays.
Everywhere I go people ask me about the car and I can't say anything negative.
It is the one car I have owned that I truly enjoy.
I had the software upgrade and it did not increase or decrease my mileage.
I have a ton of bells and whistles that I only got because the car already had them on it.
This is by far the best car I have owned.