Used 2005 Ford Freestyle Consumer Reviews - 374 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Freestyle

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:

A Bad Joke!
By Taken In

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We bought this car, new,from our local dealership. We have never been more unhappy with a car! Even though we always have,we won't buy another Ford product! Things gone wrong: tailgate latch, 2 radio/cd players, seat warmers, rear heater fan, 3 sets of tires-something wrong w/alignment, and now the throttle. Part is on emergency backorder along w/600+ others whose cars are sitting. Dealer solution: car must sit for at least 6 months while waiting for part. Was told all Ford parts are on backorder due to slowing economy and manufacturing problems. Dealership won't give us a loaner or any hope for a reasonable solution, despite our extended warranty. Considering contacting an attorney.

Was purchased because it had roomy interior for passengers and enough space to carry my business supplies for my rental properties.

Don't keep making cars when you are not going to make parts accessible, especially when the under warranty car is going to need those parts as soon as the car is driven off the lot!

Bad Brakes and CVT Transmission
By tfry

2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Problems with transmission fromday one, replaced rear brakes twice (check recall) and now need front brakes, transmission repair at 34,000 miles and at 77,000 need a new transmission $6,500. Acceleration problems from day one and they could never duplicate problem. Vehicle would stop abruptly while driving on highway or accelearate. Terrible on snow slides can't get in my drive with two inches of snow, two sets of tires already! Rear doors have never closed right. Gas tank bracket is on a recall, airconditioning has terrible smell they can't get rid of. most of these problems since new purchase! This vehicle is a lemon DO NOT BUY IT!!!

Get rid of braking sytem and CVT transmission

1,300 miles 5 people + Luggage= Review
By Iceman

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

This is my wife's car. I own a Fusion that I love dearly. We took a weekend trip to St. Louis for a funeral. Over 1,400 miles in one weekend with 5 people + luggage. I drive fast (around 90) and still got over 20 mpg for the trip. I could easily see 23-24 mpg fully loaded driving say 65 or 70. Not the fastest vehicle in acceleration but adequate for a family vehicle. Very stable in turns at expressway speeds. Change your tires which we just recently did from the original Continentals. New Goodyears are a huge improvement. This is a great family vehicle that is good on long trips. Ford hit a homerun again. These are cheap buys on the used market.

Room, handling in curves. Seating position (higher than a car but not as high as a truck) makes entry and exit for tall people a snap. Gas mileage is very good for the space the vehicle offers.

An optional engine upgrade to the 3.5 V-6 (this was done on the Taurus X for 2008). Satellite Radio standard with better sound system. Little more luggage space behind the 3rd row (I think this also was accomplished in the new Flex).

Most Unreliable Car ever owned.
By NeverbuyFordAgain

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Drive the Car about 3000 miles per year, the vehicle has 18000 took it into the dealer because of a noise comming from the tranmision the same day the the engine light came up. After the dealer diagnosys, the car need new cylinder #5 new valves new head and a new Torque conveter for the tranmission about $5100.00 dollars later no word from Ford since the vehicle is out of warranty of course after the first 3 years called everyone at ford to try to get some type of help, no response I've had 5 fords in my life time, this is the last one I will ever owned, they lost me as a customer.

None - I hate this vehicle can wait till I have money buy another I am upside down on a trade or if I sell it.

The seriously need to do something about the transmission on this model year if you have not had any problem just wait my suggestion trade the car in while there is no problems.

Don't walk away from this car...RUN!
By HateMyFord

2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Replaced brakes prematurely twice, tires before the first year of ownership was up, driver seat heater is broken, stereo goes out, car is now at dealership saying the CVT will need to be replaced. Buyers beware w/this car! Not worth it. Car is worth less than we currently owe. We are up-side-down with this car and it is no longer driveable. Ford has known about this problem but hasn't recalled or acknowledge it. It is not only a pain financially, it is also a safety issue for drivers and their families.

I actually now hate this car.

stop making cars unless you back up your product. Don't act as though there is nothing wrong with your CVT transmissions in your '05's.