Used 2005 Ford Freestyle Consumer Reviews - 374 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Freestyle

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:

RIP Freestyle, you served us well.
By Libbygu

2005 Ford Freestyle SE AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I LOVED my Freestyle. Ok, we had the issue with the rear brakes in the beginning, going through a set a year which our fabulous dealer replaced, FREE, twice, and then I had my Firestone guy do it right the third time and they have been fine ever since. No other issues. Drove us fully loaded from Seattle to Texas with the AC full blast the summer before last - 24 MPG! Sadly, last weekend, she performed her final duty, crumpling and absorbing the force as my 17 YO son crashed her. TOTALED. Interior of the car looks like NOTHING HAPPENED. Thank you Freestyle, sniff. You'll be missed. Gone, but not forgotten.

SAFETY. Gas mileage for its size. Flexible seating.

Can you make the power steering not sound like a plane taking off?

Need New Transmission
By Abby

2005 Ford Freestyle SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Like others, I also need a new transmission at 88K miles. I have done all the tuneups, oil changes, filters, etc on this vehicle since I purchased it new in 2005. Transmission went out and so did the fuel and water pumps all at the same time. Costs more to repair than the car is worth, and I'm still making payments. Wish Ford would make concessions for these vehicles and help with repair expenses.

Handles well, never a problem with the FWD in the snow or ice, good car for hauling family and their gear.

Heated mirrors, mp3 capability, and, of course, a better transmission!

No problems here
By POC

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We've had a very good experience with our Freestyle. It replaced a Durango that we had lots of trouble with. The Freestyle is peppy for its size and handles well. The CVT is different and takes some getting used to. Traction control is sometimes not helpful, very glad that it can be turned off, with it off both front tires pull. Last week I drove home through 6" of unplowed snow without a problem. We had one problem with the Climate Control dash buttons not working, turned out to be a vacuum leak (known to happen). I bought the car for my wife to drive, as she didn't want a minivan. It is a good looking car too. Selling ours to get something 4x4.

DVD player, Traction control on/off, folding rear seats, interior cargo room, exterior styling

None come to mind.

Expensive, hard to get-Transmission
By Stephanie

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

My transmission went out at 75,100 miles. Ford is the only supplier of that particular CVT transmission. No other company can get it. It's $5000.00

All Wheel Drive

Quality

Good car, made like a tank
By Philippe T.

2005 Ford Freestyle SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Didn't want a minivan but needed lots of space for the expanding family. The driving experience is superb, theres a real feeling of security white driving this car, its very stable. When you take a look around the car, you notice its made strong + lots of protective panels/rubber here and there. Performance is low, but who wants to race a 7 passenger car? Fuel economy is good on the hwy. Its has 70k miles with no major issues. A couple of repair on the suspension but previous owner drove a lot on unpaved roads, so I guess its normal. Generally love this car and recommend it. Saw a couple of internet complaits about tranny prob. I tow a 2000 pound popup tent and its holding up pretty strong.

Big strong parts, you can see the car is made to last. Starts at 1/4 turn at -40 degrees celcius with no problem. My 2007 Escape didn't want to wake up.

Transmission is sluggish in very cold temperatures and takes a few seconds to engage (At any temp.) Maybe the owners who have tranny problems didn't treat they're transmission well. I'm beleve CVT's don't react well if you go reverse and go drive while the car is still backing up...