Used 2005 Ford Freestyle Consumer Reviews - 374 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Freestyle

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:

No More Ford's For Me
By Shirley Howard

2005 Ford Freestyle SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I bought my Freestyle when they first hit the showroom, I had been watching them when they first started showing them on their website. I really did like this SUV, It just rolled over to 100,000 miles a week ago. I was planning on driving this for a long time. Then the transmission started messing up and would not change out of low, the tech was going crazy. The dealership informed us it needed a new transmission at the tune of $5910 out the door. That's about what the thing is worth. I have bought my last Ford and I've had several. I would not advise anyone to buy a Ford because they are nothing but junk and they won't stand behind them. Now I know why they only made them for 3 years.

Look, handling, comfort, plenty of room

Should have put a transmission in them that would have lasted.

Freestyle..how about BAD Style
By Unhappy Ford Owner

2005 Ford Freestyle SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Reading the reviews is very enlightening. We bought the car new after having good experiences with Ford Explorers. We have had the same problems as most other people. Multiple brake jobs, rotors replaced, new tires, alignment issues, then there's the transmission. Nothing but problems. Dealer worked on the transmission twice now, first replaced a part, then had to install a completely new transmission. Well guess what transmission is out again, no warranty, no recognition by Ford of their clearly substandard product. Car is sitting in the driveway, useless. Turned off from Ford forever. Way to go Ford, short term gain, lifetime loss.

Buy back all Freestyles, crush em up, spit em out, and make something useful out of them

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL
By Greg

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Replaced brakes after 34,000 miles, and had the intermittent cluster display circuit board replaced at a whopping $980.00 I've always bought Ford vehicles in the past, but this is the last time I buy anything from Ford. I don't know how Ford managed to stay away from the bailout, because their vehicles are total garbage, except for their line of Trucks.

Driving at 2500 rpm - I've managed to get around 27-30 mpg.

I know this is a discontinued model, but any future designs that are concurrent with this model should be aware that the car makes a loud helicopter effect when driving with the windows down, and the radio is garbage

Great Car
By Joel H.

2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Only had this rig for 5 months now, but have enjoyed owning it this far. It has 100,00 miles on it. I am a service tech, at the dealership where it was sold new, So I have presonally done alot of the service work on it. The CVT is original and has no problems so far. Thinking back I can only remember 3 CVT's with problems at our dealership. I worked on one of them. They are pretty simple and compared to other vehicles, I think the failure rate is probabally average. I am planning to tow a 14' fiberglass boat this summer so we'll see how that goes. Removed the rear center console so our 4 year old can get through to the third row.

Interior space.

The folding second row is not handy when you have child seats attached to them. Removing the center console made the rear seat much more accessable

Liked the Freestyle
By Lobo

2005 Ford Freestyle Limited Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We live in S. MD and bought the 05 Freestyle new while on a trip to WV; happened to pass a dealer in VA and just stopped in for a look. Traded an 01 Explorer Sport, and have really enjoyed the Freestyle. The handling, comfort, and space were very good; mileage averaged around 24 for 65k miles. CVT took a little getting used to, but really liked it in the mountains, and great in up to 10" of snow. No problems or repairs; just traded it in for a 2010 Lincoln MKX, wife's an SUV girl at heart. Interesting note, local dealer thought our Freestyle was so nice, it's in their showroom for sale, and they can only fit 3 vehicles in the showroom. Freestyle's don't stay on the lot long around here.

Handling, traction, audio system outstanding, wife liked the heated seats, comfort, versatility,

Shoulda had more power, but it made the best of what it had.