Used 2005 Ford Freestyle Consumer Reviews - 374 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Freestyle

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:

A nice surprise
By Lisa

2005 Ford Freestyle SE AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We were down to the wire for a new small SUV. We test drove the Freestyle first. We test drove other SUVs after (CRV, Element, Mazda Tribute, etc.), but they paled in comparison. We did nothing but talk about the Freestyle for a month before we bought it. It is a lot of fun to drive. So far, it does great in the snow. I am surprised not to see more of this vehicle on the road. Ford needs to get the word out how great this SUV is!

1) The steering reaction is impeccable: you could literally steer around a dime. 2) Awesome sound system. 3) Lots of room, especially for tall people in the back. 4) Cargo space with seats folded down fits my hubby's entire drum set.

1) Don't like the placement of heat control, it's too low. 2) Would like a locking gas cover. 3) Wish there was a button on the keypad and lever in the SUV to automatically open the back lift.

We Really Like Our Freestyle
By Arman Balk

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

My wife and I are seniors and have had three Ford wagons. We find the Freestyle to be a pleasure to operate. It is easy to get in and out of, gives excellent visibility, handles very well, and rides smoothly. The CVT is very smooth. The engine gives us plenty of power and good gas mileage - driving 65 MPH we get 26 to 31, depending on conditions. We like the 6 passenger seating and all the cargo room provided by fold down seats. We think the styling is excellent and have had many complements on this.

Our favorite features are (1) the height of the vehicle - easy to get in and out of and good visibility on the road, (2) the easy and smooth handling.

We don't have any suggested improvements. The vehicle is fine as is - very well designed.

Freestyle Fills a Niche
By SUVcritic

2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We decided to purchase the Freestyle after looking at several different makes and models. After 4 months of ownership, I still marvel at the fantastic design. It's roomy enough for adults yet accessible by children. The Limited model is chock full of all the best standard equipment, and it just gets better when you add options. We specifically chose black interior to avoid the glare issues frequently described on this review site, and have had no problems at all. The lack of seat bolsters is a plus in my opinion, and I can't say enough good about the customizable seating. I've never wanted to be an SUV or minivan driver, but this interior and exterior design makes it easy.

Heated seats, rear seating air vents, seat position memory, reverse sensor. The DVD player and moon roof were not first-choice features, but they were available on the model that was otherwise the best fit. They have turned out to be well used features.

Mileage is disappointing (about 17mpg city). Retractable radio antenna would be nice (it's a pain when you need to wash the car). Also, we had a defective radio (the CD player skipped). The dealership was borderline incompetent when replacing it even though they said they had seen it before.

great car
By linda mulvaney

2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Only been driving it for about 6 months but so far I love it. I will let you know more after I see how it handles in the snow and ice. It is every thing I wanted in a car and what I really love about it is that it is not a car nor a truck. It is a little bit of both. I get compliments every where I go with it. It drives nice, looks nice and is just nice. Seems to hold the road great. I can fit so much in it. It sits nice and high to see the road but not too high. One of the reasons I bought it was because of all the safety features it has. I would recommend this car to everyone; in fact I have.

My favorite features are the moon roof, heated seats (and believe me since it got cold I am using them and it is great), the entertainment system (my grandkids love how it adjusts back to your seating position every time I get in the car after my husband used it). All the great compartments.

I would like lumbar support. Less lines on the top of the dash board because they seem to reflect in the windshield and you can see them while you are driving. Heated back seats for the little ones.

Call me "Freestyler" now
By Ronnie Scinto

2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

My partner and I looked at many SUVs when it came time to turn in our thirsty Lexus LS470. We test drove the Passport, Highlander, the Subaru B9, and the Explorer (mind you -- we were coming out of a Lexus). Not impressed with any till we saw the Freestyle in the showroom sitting lonesome. I got in and was happy. This car made me smile. We test drove it and I was hooked and so was my other half. I can't tell you how comfortable this car is (we are both over 6' tall). It drives like a dream - you'll have to get used to the CVT, But quality and design is that of out Lexus and with more comfort. Our dealership was great -- no pressure and the friendliest group of guys ever! I love my Freestyle!

Favorite Freestyle feature is how comfortable this crossover is. I love the way the dash is laid out -- everything is where it should be. Ford did an awesome job thinking about this car before they started to bend the steel. I love the interior; solid and practical. I love the way the seats fold down.

Not many here. Maybe when the driver hits the mute button when the cd is playing the cd should pause? Can't do it with the radio of course. Maybe market this car better; people just don't know about it. When I see another "Freestyler" they say the same thing as me -- they love this car.