Used 2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon Consumer Reviews - 374 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:

American Quality
By elibruno

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Too bad Ford doesn't know how to advertise and promote this vehicle; no crossover within $8K has its attributes; we traded in a BMW 3 series sportwagon (5 grandkids now!) and don't miss it all. Utility is beyond belief.

Fold flat seats in second and third row. Extra space behind third row seats. Tremendous visibility front and side.

Should have xenon headlight option.

Loving my Freebie! I named it "Sprout."
By Loving Sprout!

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I purchased my '05 Freestyle FWD SE just under a month ago. It is Titanium Green with Shale interior in cloth. I have just over 1,000 miles of trouble free fun on it so far and couldn't be happier. While many people are so quick to address the supposed "lack of power" in this vehicle, I have to disagree (slightly). From a standstill I can confirm that this vehicle is not lightning quick. However, at highway speeds there's a rush of power as the car builds speed for passing. I am averaging 20 miles per gallon which is great considering my daily commute of gridlock and "hilly" city streets. Factor in the ability to haul bundles of softball gear and passengers all at once, and I'm all smiles.

I love the flexible seating and cavernous cargo area. Also, the upgraded 6cd/mp3 in dash stereo is superb. The abundance of cup holders, standard roof rack, and logical layout all add to the value of the vehicle. Since it's not big enough to be the "Jolly Green Giant," I named it "Sprout" instead.

More off the line power would calm critics, but I would not want that increase at the loss of the miles per gallon. The only other thing I can possible suggest would be to make the safety canopy system standard. It isn't on my vehicle but I would definitely appreciate the added safety.

An Unproclaimed Gem
By Jack Hammond

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Never saw an ad, but we did see the Freestyle on the highway. Went to a dealer to see close-up and walked out owning a new Freestyle. We are very pleased with this SUV and cannot understand the lack of promotion from Ford, it seems to be almost invisible. However, we think almost with out exception, this SUV is one of the best buys on the mid-size market. Our other SUV is a 2000 Yukon XL and this Freestyle replaced an 1998 Jeep. You would do well to spend some time with this vehicle before you buy.

Mileage, transmission.

Offer more options with cloth seats.

Excellent Freestyle
By Kris Loewen

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

My wife and I recently purchased a Freestyle. We love the car. The door openings are large and comfortable, easy to see out; smooth and very quiet ride; nice acceleration, and no annoying jerk at the shift points. We love the car, and are satisfied with the mileage. The fold away seats are wonderful; we can pack tons of stuff in the back of this car.

The CVT; the command seating - great visuals outside; all wheel drive.

Armrests on the center captains chairs would be nice; ours does not have heated seats or a sunroof ... would be nice. I would appreciate the rear hatch to offer the option of opening the window only, or the whole hatch. Add some more towing capacity.

Extremely happy with the Freestyle
By Mary

2005 Ford Freestyle Wagon SEL AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

My husband had to trade in his F150 when we had our son -- we were planning on buying an Explorer but fell in love with the Freestyle. It is great for families and extremely roomy (would definitely recommend the bucket seats for the second row instead of bench seating for easier access to the third row). It is a great car/SUV mix. You sit higher than a car but a tad lower than an SUV. Very easy handling and is a smooth drive because of the transmission. We have been extremely happy with the Freestyle!

Where to start -- plentiful cup holders, easy folding third row bench (also second row bucket seats are very easy to change up) -- simple and easy to use controls, very roomy! Love the dual climate controls and back climate controls to keep the kid warm/cool in the winter/summer.

Privacy window not just for the back third row -- would be nice if it included the second row too like an SUV. A bit sluggish of a V6 when you really step on the gas but it isn't too bad, definitely not a V8 -- a bigger V6 engine would be nice.