Used 2005 Ford Freestyle Consumer Reviews - 374 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Freestyle

View reviews for a specific Freestyle model:

It is Just Okay
By DJG

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We traded in an Excursion for it. Hard to give a 100% unbiased review. I miss my Excursion; this just doesn't compare (I know it isn't apples to apples) but I wish I hadn't made the trade.

It is black, I think it is a sharp looking vehicle.

Seats are not comfortable; not enough leg room. Heating system is a pain to work properly.

2005 SE
By Ben99GT

2005 Ford Freestyle SE Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

The best family car on the market today. What other vehicle today matches the Freestyle's combination of seating flexibility, ride comfort, car like handling, roominess, SUV-like appearance, and 25+ mpg fuel economy? The Chrysler Pacifica falls well short of the Freestyle in every category and is much slower to boot. A case could be made for one of the better minivans, such as the Honda Odyssey, but then you're behind the wheel of a minivan.

CVT, (makes regular automatics feel like relics from the stone age), fold flat 2nd and 3rd row seats (front passenger seat also folds flat), 25+ mpg, the car has a nimble/sporty feel to it, tightness of structure/build quality, surprisingly good acceleration for 203 hp, strong brakes, safety ratings.

Make the glass on the rear liftgate able to open. (like the Explorer, Expedition and Escape) Give the Freestyle the Fusion grille treatment and the new 250 hp 3.5L V6. With these three improvements the Freestyle would be perfect, IMO.

Glad I Made the Change
By Christy

2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I went from driving a FORD Expedition to driving the Freestyle. It has been a great change. I feel like I'm driving a car again with the safety I have come to expect from the SUV. The car handles great in the snow and rain. I love the fold down quick and easy seats. The kids love the DVD player and sunroof. I have been asked many times about my car and have told everyone I would buy it again. If you are looking for a good and relatively inexpensive family car, go check out the Freestyle.

Driving the vehicle and the ease of getting in and out.

The interior could be upgraded. The noise the car makes going uphill takes getting used to.

Old E150 Chateau convert
By Jim

2005 Ford Freestyle SEL Fwd 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Looked at alternatives to the trade in on the 2000 Chateau Van. The van had bunches of room, a V8, and in great shape. I needed a van replacement that was better on gas. The Freestyle is much better, and for the kids, we got the DVD and rear console. Family trip was the quietest I ever had ... just keep plugging in the DVDs and the rear console holds all the drinks and snacks. Around town with the CVT, it has some power, but could use more. It is not a Mustang GT, but it is a family wagon ... so why have to go so fast? I got the red with grey accents and it looks great.

The way the car has so many alternative ways of storage ... seats up, down, fold, etc. It has more room than my brother-in-law's Pacifica.

The cloth seats will stain almost immediately, by just water! Ford needs to get a more stain resistant material if this is going to be sold and used by families.

We Love it!
By Bill in Philly

2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

We sold an Audi A4 Avant to buy the Freestyle. The Freestyle is a much better car. I cannot believe how nice it is on the highway. The car is not as slow as people think. It just feels slow with the CVT and the tranny takes some getting used to. But after you figure it out, it is a great transmission. I have even towed a 1200lb trailer with it with not trouble. What a value!

Nice smooth highway ride.

Add a more aggressive program for the tranny that is available at the push of a button.