Used 2006 Ford Freestar Minivan Consumer Reviews - 41 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:

06 SEL Freestar 44,000 mile update
By RW

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased 06 Freestar van new in October 06. Loved the interior seating arrangements, shoulder and leg room for first and second rows. Third row bench folds flat and is a bit too low when in use. Lots of cargo room when stored though. Engine has lots of torque but has been detuned (4.2 L should give far more then 200 hp).

Great visibility, feels safe and stable. Heater, AC, as well as rear heat and AC are excellent. Good sized fuel tank. Van handled excellent on studded tires when we lived in Alaska for 2 yrs. Very comfortable hwy driving. Lots of cubbyholes for storage.

Interior is mostly plastic, and the fuel economy is only 17 city and 20/21 hwy (all time best 23 hwy). Very tight under the hood making some routine maintenance tough. Overall a great vehicle, too bad its been discontinued.

Good van, the Editor doesn't own one!
By Dwayne

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

It rides well, has all the toys, video, triple zone climated control, heated leather, quad seats....cd changer...alloys....oh and the gas pedal doesn't get stuck! Mine Has given me nothing but excellent service! Buy one well maintained..u will find the...sterring culd be a little more precise..it's a mini van.

Leather, DVD for kids, room to move around....roof rack, long trips, tri zone climate control...power everything.

Little weight on steering..a lilttle more sound dampening! Tires that wont wear out!

2006 Freestar Limited (4.2L)
By SuperOldSchool

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I love this van and it's great family transportation,also very good as a hauler for construction projects. It rides smoothly and has plenty of power. I have 65k on the van. I personally think too many things have gone wrong. Fortunately all covered under warranty: Front brake rotors replaced 2x due to warping. Fuel pump replaced (worked fine but squealed), rear window vent motor replaced, catalytic converter replaced. Funky AdvanceTrak issues sometimes,weatherstrip on windshield was falling off. I know the AX4N trans is known to have major issues so I just hope ours lasts. I do all maintenance myself - full syn fluids, trans every 15k, P/S every year, coolant etc

Torquey engine, nice ride, tons of room, comfy seats on long rides (except 3rd row), kids love DVD player on trips. Great road trip vehicle. % star safety rating

Sound system is really cheap - cars 20 years older have had better systems. Should have a 5 speed trans to improve fuel economy. Should have had simpler electrical system design - very buggy (AdvanceTrack issues, PCM-trans issues are also common, though not with mine, knock on wood, brake system

Glad to own a Freestar with 4.2 litre
By Tony

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Owning a 98 windstar I had decided to remain with Ford due to the great reliability of the windstar. My Freestar with the 4.2 litre is very powerful! Transmission shifting is much more smooth and improved, the 4 disc brake system is superior to the disc and drum system, the traction control and stability control is excellent in the winter months. I have puchased this vehicle used with 56000 Kilometers and the only issue I presently have is a faulty backup sensor, everything else is peachy. The DVD entertainment is worth a million dollars on those long trips with the kids. The ride is smooth, feels solid and powerful when passing on the freeway. My next vehicle will be a Ford again, the Flex.

4.2 Litre engine! ohh yaaahh! Smooth ride, brakes are terrific, roomy interior, maintenance parts as filters, oil changes, brake jobs are inexpensive. 3 zone air conditioning is fantastic with rear overhead vents and control panels, Great DVD entertainment system for the kids, dropped well is handy,

Optional SUPERCHARGER would work wonders!! LOL!! More rear leg room for adults, an all wheel drive, a more modern transmission and twin overhead cam engine, More durable disc brake system, better quality on the original factory tires, better plastic materials for trims, nicer exterior styling.

2006 Ford Freestar Sel 4dr Minivan (4.2L
By Connie Riley

2006 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We have 6 grandchildren who travel with us quite frequently. So we have wanted a minivan for quite some time. We purchased this van in January, used w/33,500 mi. and so far it has been great. Very nice van, great exterior, love the Norsea Blue color. I have taken the kids on several outings and trips and there's plenty of room and everyone is comfortable.

Norsea Blue very pretty color. Smooth ride, DVD system, pretty good mileage. This is exactly what I wanted. Very satisfied with it so far.

I would like to know if I can listen to the radio while the kids are watching the DVD system? I haven't been able to figure that out. If someone knows, please let me know. Other than that, I can't think of anything I would change.