Used 2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Consumer Reviews - 147 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:

2004 Ford Freestar
By nadineb

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I would not recommend purchasing this vehicle unless you have a lot of extra money to fix all the faults with it. My opinion of this vehicle is that Ford needs to recall this van. It stopped running twice while it was traveling thirty five mph, and once, as I was entering a high speed roadway. Reliability zero. I fear for my life when I drove it which I will no longer take that chance.

Stowaway back seat.

Needs to be recalled
By Disappointed

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I've had the van for 4 years now. 3 weeks after purchase there were noises heard while driving under normal conditions. Took it to dealer twice; they said they found nothing. Trusted their opinion since they sell. Now a new problem...transmission gave in. Van is sitting in mechanics garage collecting dust until I can come up with at least $3000 for repairs. Also, driver side window motor needs to be replaced. Talked to some other mechanics and they're baffled why these problems occured on a 5-yr old vehicle under 100k miles. I'm not buying a Ford ever again.

Just the DVD entertainment system. Great if you have kids.

Everything.

another transmission failure
By Terri

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

i travel a lot. so i wanted a vehicle that would not wear me out when i drive. overall this van drives well over long distances. however, without warning, at 63,000 miles i attempted to put the van in gear - nothing. the "extended warranty" the dealership sold to me (AMERI GUARD) - said i did not have the 60,000 mile transmission service so (in their words) "we will not pay and are washing our hands of it"! so who actually takes their vehicle in at the exact mileage for maintenance? anyway, i think FORD is well aware they have major transmission issues for their 2004 and 2005 models and yet they do nothing about it! HONDA OR TOYOTA NEXT TIME!

rides nice

offer to replace the transmission or at least pro-rate to compensate when the transmission goes bad (and it will) - disappointing that FORD is aware of this and chooes to ignore their transmission issues. Does anyone out there wonder why people buy "foreign" vehicles?

Life Saver
By Susan

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This is a VERY safe van. I was in an accident and totaled my van this past Saturday. To say the least, the van is a mangled mess and is missing three wheels. The frame is a pretzel, but my children and I were completely safe! We were able to climb out the driver's door (the only working door) and were unharmed. This van did it's job...it kept my kids safe. I am looking to purchase this van again because I do feel safe driving my children inside of it.

Safety! Airbags deployed and deflated quickly. Crumple zones held up beautifully. Windshield broke, but stayed in tact.

Automatic lumbar - not manual...breaks too often and is expensive to be reset.

Like My Freestar
By Like My Freestar

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased my Freestar Used from a dealer. Have owned Grand Caravans and Voyagers in the past. I LOVED the Freestar at first-then it wore off down to I really LIKE it! It has been very reliable in the past 18 months, never a repair or problem. It is fairly comfortable except for my teenage son who is medium-tall and can't get his legs comfortable anywhere in the back. That being said, The van is dependable and versatile. We have hauled lumber and pets, loaded it down to go camping. I would probably go back to Grand Caravan if looking for another minivan

Heat/AC, Defrosting very quick; Cruise Control works great on trips; Starts right up even when below zero outside.

Engine is a bit sluggish going up steep hills and can handle like a truck on sharp turns. MORE LEG ROOM in back!