Used 2004 Ford Freestar Consumer Reviews - 148 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Freestar

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:

F-O-R-D
By Unsafe vehicle

2004 Ford Freestar SES 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

The traning went at 78oo's some miles and caught the fiberoptic system on FIRE!! GEE ANOTHER TRANSMISSION DOWN THE DRAIN, seems to be the thing with Freestar vans. I think there should be a CIVIL ACTION LAW SUITE against Ford. I sure hope the owner of FORD never gets in a Freestar and cathes fire. Thank god we are alive, we just made it out of the van!!

WHERE'S THE RECALL ON THE FREESTAR, I want my money back!!

2004 Ford Freestar
By nadineb

2004 Ford Freestar SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I would not recommend purchasing this vehicle unless you have a lot of extra money to fix all the faults with it. My opinion of this vehicle is that Ford needs to recall this van. It stopped running twice while it was traveling thirty five mph, and once, as I was entering a high speed roadway. Reliability zero. I fear for my life when I drove it which I will no longer take that chance.

Stowaway back seat.

Needs to be recalled
By Disappointed

2004 Ford Freestar Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I've had the van for 4 years now. 3 weeks after purchase there were noises heard while driving under normal conditions. Took it to dealer twice; they said they found nothing. Trusted their opinion since they sell. Now a new problem...transmission gave in. Van is sitting in mechanics garage collecting dust until I can come up with at least $3000 for repairs. Also, driver side window motor needs to be replaced. Talked to some other mechanics and they're baffled why these problems occured on a 5-yr old vehicle under 100k miles. I'm not buying a Ford ever again.

Just the DVD entertainment system. Great if you have kids.

Everything.

another transmission failure
By Terri

2004 Ford Freestar Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

i travel a lot. so i wanted a vehicle that would not wear me out when i drive. overall this van drives well over long distances. however, without warning, at 63,000 miles i attempted to put the van in gear - nothing. the "extended warranty" the dealership sold to me (AMERI GUARD) - said i did not have the 60,000 mile transmission service so (in their words) "we will not pay and are washing our hands of it"! so who actually takes their vehicle in at the exact mileage for maintenance? anyway, i think FORD is well aware they have major transmission issues for their 2004 and 2005 models and yet they do nothing about it! HONDA OR TOYOTA NEXT TIME!

rides nice

offer to replace the transmission or at least pro-rate to compensate when the transmission goes bad (and it will) - disappointing that FORD is aware of this and chooes to ignore their transmission issues. Does anyone out there wonder why people buy "foreign" vehicles?

Life Saver
By Susan

2004 Ford Freestar SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This is a VERY safe van. I was in an accident and totaled my van this past Saturday. To say the least, the van is a mangled mess and is missing three wheels. The frame is a pretzel, but my children and I were completely safe! We were able to climb out the driver's door (the only working door) and were unharmed. This van did it's job...it kept my kids safe. I am looking to purchase this van again because I do feel safe driving my children inside of it.

Safety! Airbags deployed and deflated quickly. Crumple zones held up beautifully. Windshield broke, but stayed in tact.

Automatic lumbar - not manual...breaks too often and is expensive to be reset.