Used 2004 Ford Freestar Consumer Reviews - 148 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Freestar

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:

2004 Ford Freestar
By nadineb

2004 Ford Freestar SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Worst vehicle that I have every owned. Feared for my safety in this vehicle. I would not recommend it to anyone. I will not purchase another Ford vehicle ever again because of having such a bad experience with this vehicle. Review NHTSA site for numerous complaints.

storaway back seat

Fix the safety issues with the vehicle. The PCM and the transmission need to be totally replaced.

Recall is Needed-Transmission
By Anabel

2004 Ford Freestar Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

If the transmission issues would not happen. This van would be great. But the reliability of the vehicle and the safety of my children and whomever is in it comes first. This vehicle is unsafe. Please go to NHTSA or safercar.gov and draw your own conclusion.

quiet and smooth driving when it is actually running.

comfort for back passengers and better reliable seatbelts in back. Recall of transmission that is currently in use for this model. A sensor to stop the electronic door from shutting when there is someone in the way.

Not Built Ford Tough
By Robert M

2004 Ford Freestar S 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

transmission failed at 88000 miles.The failure was not do to neglect or abuse. this was 2 weeks before the warranty was up. and Ford of Canada is telling us to bad. they say water must have got into the transmission and that's what caused the internal parts to get rusty, but are not sure how it got in there. after calling them they tell us it's not covered. so much for "Built Ford Tough" & "Quality is #1"

The inside space.

Issue a recall on the defective transmissions!!!!

2004 Ford Freestar is unreliable
By Lisa

2004 Ford Freestar SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Freestar new in 2004 and it has been a good car until the this year. I have 85000 miles on my Freestar and the transmission left me stranded on the side of the interstate with no warning at all. $3000 later I am back running. If you look at the Freestar forum on the Edmunds.com website you will see many others like me who have had transmission problems with all year models of the Freestar beginning at 42000 miles. I was lucky to get 85000 out of mine before it quit.

Quality junk minivan
By Tigervol5

2004 Ford Freestar SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This the worse car that I have owned. It was a lemon. I have spend over $24000 for new car that I have expected to last least 8 years. Less than 5 years later with only 70,000 miles, I have major problem with transmission which will cost over $2500 to $3000 to fix. I will never buy Ford product here on.

None

Everything that is why Ford don't make it anymore.