Used 2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Consumer Reviews - 148 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan

View reviews for a specific Freestar model:

Don't buy it
By Chris is PA

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this brand new. They don't even give me enough space to go through all the problems. It was an electrical nightmare - the radio wouldn't shut off and killed the battery. Went though four batteries. got a new computer, new radio. Both power window motors replaced. On my third set of roters, calipers, brakes. Changed ABS sensors, a half shaft, a egr sensor and now my transmission is acting up. These are the things I can remember.there are more. I have 90000 miles, but problems started about six months in to me owning it. This has to be the worst vehicle I have ever owned. Looking at trading it in on a Honda Odessey before the transmission ends up going!!

My seat is comfy??

Recall the entire vehicle and give me my $30000 back Ford!

Tranmission fail - TWICE and now acting
By Dave T

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have had to put two transmissions in this vehicle. One at 40,000 then again at 79,000. Now the torque converter is screwing up again. The MPG is dismal. Contacted Ford and the operator could care less even when I told her I was done buying Ford. Oh yea, I owned a 1994 Windstar (same vehicle) that received a new trans[ at[ 45,000. Van rides nice when it rides. Buyer beware!

Fix the trans and torque converter and maybe hire a new phone representative.

Transmission problems
By harold

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have always owned Ford's until now. Freestar dumby lights kept coming on all ford dealers told me it is a dumby light, keep driving, turn car off and then go again. transmission is gone, it does nothing but shake and not want to go. it has 99,000 miles on it and ford says not there problem. we don't have $2500.or $3000.00 to fix it. I had the dvd player for kids but now nothing

fix transmissions on this car, i loved it for kids, but not anymore cannot drive it.

Bad Deal for Ford
By kim

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

When my husband first brought van we had problems with the a/c not cooling like it supposed to. Brought it back to the dealership about 3 times for the a/c until they finally fixed it. Then for some unknown rest one of my hoses had gotten a hole in it and thats when more problems started. I have changed the mass air sensor on it now my egr vale needs changing, my brakes needs changing it kills on me at a red light or stop signs it is jerking on me while I am driving. My engine light stays on and goes off when it is ready. I don't want no more minivan or vehicles from ford.

Alot of space and room for the kids.

Stop making the Freestar for customers to buy.

04 Freestar Ltd
By Mike

2004 Ford Freestar Minivan Limited 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this vehicle used from a dealership. So far so good. Vehicle averages 17-19 mpg overall between a mix of 65% highway / 35% city driving. We almost opted not to get this car just because of all the negative mpg reviews. We test drove a 05 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT with cloth seats/ stow & go and were very close to purchase except for this Ford came to our attention with the same mileage and far more goodies (ltd package) for less. We have always owned GM vehicles, this is our first Ford. We also considered the Kia Sedona EX, but that model is near impossible to find for the same price. Ford won't let you down. I will say that we bought an extended warranty if anything happens..

heated leather seats, trip computer, fold flat 3rd row, factory 6cd in-dash changer stereo w/ (4) 6x8 speakers, ride quality, low wind noise, dual power sliding doors via remote, electronic climate control, cargo roof rack for extra storage(we camp alot in the summer)

mpg. The Dodge Gr Caravan SXT we test drove from for a weekend trip w/ the 3.8 V6 option got between 3-4 overall better mpg than this Ford. cd stereo buttons on Fords show wear quickly. 3rd row has no split fold